Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Desperate for love and affection- converting a parametric equation to Cartesian

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Give a Cartesian equation of the given hyperplane
    The plane passing through (1,2,2) and orthogonal to the line x = (5,1,-1) + t(-1,1,-1)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I've looked at this for a few hours and still can't figure out how to do it. It's supposed to be x(sub1) - x(sub2) + x(sub3) = 1, but I can't understand how one gets that solution. I know there should be a system of equations, with one of the equations being (1,-1,1) (which is orthogonal to the line in the question) but how about the other equations? Is the other hyperplane used for the system (5,1,-1) - (1,2,2) or something? Someone please help?!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: If I gave you the normal to a plane and a point in the plane, could you give me the equation of the plane?

4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    Is the parametric equation the line x = (1 +t, 2-t, 2+t)? I simply plugged in the point and the normal of the vector from the question.
    And I still can't figure out how to convert this to Cartesian form, but I might need to look at it some more.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, a plane is not a line...

6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    Uhh, you know what I mean. Help please?

7. Sep 14, 2010 #6

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Do you know what vector describes the diection of the line you have?

8. Sep 14, 2010 #7
    You take the vector and divide it by its distance. So in the case of (-1,1,-1), it would be -1/sqrt3, 1/sqrt3, -1/sqrt3

9. Sep 14, 2010 #8

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

It doesn't have to be of unit length. Now what does it mean to be orthogonal? Say if I had a point (x,y,z) which was orthogonal to (-1,1,-1)?

10. Sep 14, 2010 #9
    Orthogonal=perpendicular. So... (1,-1,1) obviously isn't orthogonal to my first line

11. Sep 14, 2010 #10

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

Think in terms of dot products of vectors, what does it mean to be orthogonal?

12. Sep 14, 2010 #11
    Oh yes the dot product has to be zero. But couldn't then the normal vector be any number of lines?

13. Sep 14, 2010 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, I don't. I asked if you could determine the equation of a plane, given the normal and a point in the plane. You spat out the equation of a line.

Don't worry about the line you are given yet. If I tell you that the normal to a plane is (a,b,c) and that the point [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)[/itex] lies in that plane, what is the equation of that plane?

14. Sep 14, 2010 #13
    Lets see, (x,y,z)+t(a,b,c). So...

15. Sep 14, 2010 #14

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, that's the equation of a line (Actually, it isn't even an equation! But assuming you meant [itex](x_0,y_0,z_0)+(a,b,c)t = 0[/itex], its a line). Open up your textbook/notes and read the section on determining the equation of a plane (or Google it), and then try again.

16. Sep 14, 2010 #15

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

You had the direction of te line correct, it was (-1,1,-1). There are an infitite number of lines which make up the plane which you're interested in.

17. Sep 14, 2010 #16
    It's a(sub1)x(sub1)+a(sub2)x(sub2)+a(sub3)x(sub3) = c

18. Sep 14, 2010 #17

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh, and what are a(sub1), a(sub2), a(sub3) and "c" in terms of the vector and point I gave you?

19. Sep 14, 2010 #18

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

If
    [tex]
    (x_{1},x_{2},x_{3})
    [/tex]
    if perpendicular to (-1,1,-1) then?

20. Sep 14, 2010 #19
    [itex]
    ax_0+by_0+cz_0 = 0
    [/itex]

21. Sep 14, 2010 #20

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No.

Straight from wikipedia:

THIS is the equation you should have looked up.

Anyways, if I give you a line that is orthoganl to a plane, what can you say about the direction of the given line and the normal of the given plane?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook