Destructive Interference: radio telescope, ocean, galaxy

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving radio waves from a galaxy reaching a radio telescope by two separate paths. The first path is a direct path to the receiver, while the second is reflected off the water. The problem involves finding the height of the radio telescope dish above the water when the first minimum of destructive interference occurs. The conversation also addresses the use of the variable theta and the phase difference between the two paths.
bcca

Homework Statement

My solution isn't working out for this question.

Radio waves of wavelength 125 m from a galaxy reach a radio telescope by two separate paths. One is a direct path to the receiver, which is situated on the edge of a tall cliff by the ocean, and the second is by reflection off the water. As the galaxy rises in the east over the water, the first minimum of destructive interference occurs when the galaxy is θ = 25.0° above the horizon. Find the height of the radio telescope dish above the water.

I used "a" for [tex]\theta[/tex] in my sketch.

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta[/tex]=dsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=(m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex]=r2-r1

The Attempt at a Solution

b=180-90-25-25 =40 degrees
[tex]\delta[/tex]=r2-r1
r1=r2*sin(b)
[tex]\delta[/tex]=r2(1-sin(b))
r2=[tex]\delta[/tex]/(1-sin(b))
r2=3/2*[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(1-sin(b))
r2=525 m
h=r2*sin(a)
h=222 m

answer: 148 m

Thanks if you can help!

Attachments

• lunapic_130302054433499_5.jpg
    lunapic_130302054433499_5.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bcca said:

Homework Equations

[tex]\delta[/tex]=dsin[tex]\theta[/tex]=(m+1/2)[tex]\lambda[/tex]=r2-r1

This is irrelevant. What is theta?

Destructive interference occurs when the phase difference between r1 and r2 is (2m+1)π. But the phase of the radio wave changes by π when reflected from water, as its refractive index is higher than that of air. So what is the path difference between the rays when the first destructive interference occurs?

ehild

Sorry, I mentioned theta was "a", 25 degrees. There was no theta in the editor I used.

The section associated with the problem doesn't mention refractive index, so I suppose we assume there is no phase change. Is your equation supposed to be multiplied by wavelength? The difference should be in meters right? This relationship is not in the chapter. I tried what you said though, including refractive index n, and the answer comes out too large if I did it right. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

bcca said:

Homework Statement

r1=r2*sin(b)
[tex]\delta[/tex]=r2(1-sin(b))
r2=[tex]\delta[/tex]/(1-sin(b))
r2=3/2*[tex]\lambda[/tex]/(1-sin(b))

I don't understand this. Why is r1 equal to r2*sin(b)?

Which line segment in the diagram represents the path length difference? Can you express this difference in terms of the variable you know (25 degrees) as well as the variable you're trying to find (h)? This is your δ.

As for the phase shift, that has nothing to do with refraction. Waves are phase-shifted by pi after reflection, so you need to account for this when calculating the phase difference for the first minimum.

No wonder you can't understand it! I drew r1 and r2 in the wrong place, sorry. From the diagram, r1/r2=sin(b). I'll redraw it.

Drawing the pathlength difference might clutter the diagram. If you can't tell where it is once I fix the drawing let me know.

I found that the answer comes out if (m+1/2)=1 instead of 1.5. I don't think that makes sense, but it might help to point that out.

I'm not sure how to account for the 180 phase shift. What is a phase difference? Both of these concepts come in later sections of this chapter that are supposedly not needed for the problem. But am I even viewing this right? I don't see h as the path difference.

bcca said:
Sorry, I mentioned theta was "a", 25 degrees. There was no theta in the editor I used.

The section associated with the problem doesn't mention refractive index, so I suppose we assume there is no phase change.

Sorry, "π" is meant pi. You know that a wave is a "disturbance" which is function of both the position and time, something like
A*sin(2 pi *s /lambda - 2pi* f *t +alpha)". f is the frequency, s is the path length, lambda is the wavelength and alpha is the phase constant.
When two waves of the same frequency meat, the disturbances ad up, and you get a higher or lower value of the disturbance, depending on the phase difference between the waves. Destructive interference occurs if the phases differ by (2m+1)pi, (m is any integer)
The phase difference for two waves with pathlengths s1 and s2
is:
(2pi/lambda (s2-s1)) +(alpha2-alpha1).

When a radio wave or light wave enters from air and is reflected from the interface of a medium of higher refractive index its phase constant will change by pi. So the phase difference of two waves coming from the same source, one arriving directly and the other reflected, is
2pi/lambda(s2-s1)+pi,
and there is destructive interference if this is odd multiple of pi:
(2pi/lambda)*(s2-s1)+pi=(2m+1)*pi
Rearranging and simplifying results in the condition of destructive interference :
(2pi/lambda)*(s2-s1)=2m*pi→ s2-s1=m*lambda.

ehild

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is when two waves with opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the wave. This can occur in various mediums, including radio telescopes, oceans, and galaxies.

2. How does destructive interference affect radio telescopes?

Radio telescopes use the principle of destructive interference to filter out unwanted signals and background noise. By combining the signals from multiple telescopes, destructive interference can cancel out any unwanted signals and enhance the desired signal from a specific source.

3. Can destructive interference occur in the ocean?

Yes, destructive interference can occur in the ocean when two waves with opposite amplitudes meet. This can result in areas of calm water, known as nodes, where the two waves cancel each other out.

4. How does destructive interference impact galaxies?

In galaxies, destructive interference can occur between the gravitational forces of different celestial bodies. This can result in the formation of gaps or voids in the distribution of stars and other matter within the galaxy.

5. Is destructive interference always harmful?

No, destructive interference can be beneficial in certain situations, such as in radio telescopes. It can also play a crucial role in natural phenomena, such as ocean waves and the formation of galaxies.