Calculating Time Delay for Radio Telescope Pointing

In summary, the time delay necessary to view radio signals arriving from an object oriented at a 12 ∘ angle to the vertical is .033 seconds.
toothpaste666

Homework Statement

A radio telescope, whose two antennas are separated by 55 m, is designed to receive 3.0-MHz radio waves produced by astronomical objects. The received radio waves create 3.0-MHz electronic signals in the telescope's left and right antennas. These signals then travel by equal-length cables to a centrally located amplifier, where they are added together. The telescope can be "pointed" to a certain region of the sky by adding the instantaneous signal from the right antenna to a "time-delayed" signal received by the left antenna a time Δt ago. (This time delay of the left signal can be easily accomplished with the proper electronic circuit.)
If a radio astronomer wishes to "view" radio signals arriving from an object oriented at a 12 ∘ angle to the vertical as in the figure (Figure 1) , what time delay Δt is necessary?

g34-jpg.75226.jpg

Homework Equations

dx/l = m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

i use dx/l = dsin(theta)
x = lsin(theta)
they give me l = 55 m theta = 12 degrees
x = 55sin(12) = 11.4 m
which is the distance ahead that one sound wave is of the other
sound travels 343 m/s so it travels that distance in
1 s/ 343m (11.4 m) = .033 seconds
so that is how much they need to delay the signal.

is this valid?

Attachments

• g34.jpg
    g34.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 787
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
toothpaste666 said:

Homework Statement

A radio telescope, whose two antennas are separated by 55 m, is designed to receive 3.0-MHz radio waves produced by astronomical objects. The received radio waves create 3.0-MHz electronic signals in the telescope's left and right antennas. These signals then travel by equal-length cables to a centrally located amplifier, where they are added together. The telescope can be "pointed" to a certain region of the sky by adding the instantaneous signal from the right antenna to a "time-delayed" signal received by the left antenna a time Δt ago. (This time delay of the left signal can be easily accomplished with the proper electronic circuit.)
If a radio astronomer wishes to "view" radio signals arriving from an object oriented at a 12 ∘ angle to the vertical as in the figure (Figure 1) , what time delay Δt is necessary?

g34-jpg.75226.jpg

Homework Equations

dx/l = m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

i use dx/l = dsin(theta)
x = lsin(theta)
they give me l = 55 m theta = 12 degrees
x = 55sin(12) = 11.4 m
which is the distance ahead that one sound wave is of the other
sound travels 343 m/s so it travels that distance in
1 s/ 343m (11.4 m) = .033 seconds
so that is how much they need to delay the signal.

is this valid?

Hint -- (don't use the speed of sound...) :-)

ok so in that case i would use the given frequency and use dx/l = dsin(theta) = m(lambda) to find the wave length and then use that and the given frequency to find the speed?
is the rest of my method correct? in other words when i find that speed can i use that and the distance x = 11.4 to find the time?
I am having a hard time picturing these optics problems. I am not a very geometric thinker.

toothpaste666 said:
ok so in that case i would use the given frequency and use dx/l = dsin(theta) = m(lambda) to find the wave length and then use that and the given frequency to find the speed?
is the rest of my method correct? in other words when i find that speed can i use that and the distance x = 11.4 to find the time?
I am having a hard time picturing these optics problems. I am not a very geometric thinker.

You don't need to find the speed. The incoming radio waves travel not at the speed of sound, but at the speed of ________.

Draw a line from the left telescope to a point on the incoming radio wave line to the right telescope. Make that line perpendicular to both incoming radio wave lines. See how the intersection on the right incoming radio wave line is *above* the telescope by some distance? That's the extra distance that the radio waves have to travel to get to the right antenna, as compared to the left antenna. Traveling that extra distance takes a bit of time, which is found by knowing the distance, and the speed of travel... :-)

Likes toothpaste666
oh yeah radio waves are electromagnetic waves so they travel at c (the speed of light?
so using
1s/3E8 m (11.4 m) = 3.8E-8 s

ah yes i get it now. thank you!

:-)

1. What causes time delay on radio waves?

Time delay on radio waves is caused by the distance between the transmitter and receiver. As radio waves travel through space, they encounter various obstacles such as atmospheric conditions and objects which can slow them down.

2. How does time delay affect communication?

Time delay on radio waves can affect communication by causing a delay between when a signal is sent and when it is received. This can result in poor quality or interrupted communication, especially in real-time applications like phone calls or live broadcasts.

3. Can time delay on radio waves be eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate time delay on radio waves, there are techniques and technologies, such as satellite communication and signal processing, that can help reduce the delay and improve communication.

4. Is the time delay constant for all radio waves?

No, the time delay on radio waves can vary depending on factors such as the frequency of the wave, the distance it travels, and the obstacles it encounters. Higher frequency waves tend to have a shorter time delay compared to lower frequency waves.

5. How is time delay on radio waves measured?

Time delay on radio waves is typically measured in milliseconds, or the time it takes for a signal to travel from the transmitter to the receiver. This can be measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope, which can detect the delay between the sending and receiving of a signal.