1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determien the resulting function of the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    Determien the resulting function of the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and....

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

hi guys how are you, i am having a little trouble solving the question adn was wondering if some of you could give me a hand?

Determine the resulting function of the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and f(x) = 2x^2 + 9 intersect?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Now idk how to solve this as its been a while since i did any math but i tried to put it in to an equation of a line and i got y=1/2x+3/2 but i know thats not right as its for an equation of a line =/. I know i need to use the two points to make an equation and then do this

equation = 2x^2 + 9 but i dont know how to solve the two points and get an equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Re: Determien the resulting function of the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and....

Sorry if I'm being obtuse, but are trying to find the intersection between the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and the function f(x) = 2x2 + 9? If so, you've gotten the equation for the line correct, now all you would need to do is solve for the intersections. If I've misinterpretted the question, hopefully you wouldn't mind clarifying for me.

4. Jul 26, 2009 #3
    Re: Determien the resulting function of the line with points (1,2) and (3,3) and....

I am trying to find the intersection so i guess i am right. So i woudl do this right?

1/2x + 3/2 = 2x^2 + 9

and that would result to

-2x2 + 1/2x + 21/2 = 0

Is this correct? Also could you see if this is correct as well?

I am given a y-intercept of 0 and a point of (2,2) and the equation of the line i got is this

y = 1x + 0

is that correct?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  5. Jul 26, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

Well, your new quadratic equation isn't quite right (check the algebra)! The equation that you should get never intersects the x-axis. What does this suggest?

6. Jul 26, 2009 #5

why not? whats wrong with it? which one are u referring too?

7. Jul 26, 2009 #6

ohh i think you are right, should it be - 22 + 1/2x - 15/2 ??

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook