Graphs, functions, and coordinates

In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation but is having trouble because of the use of parallel lines.
PhysicS FAN

Homework Statement

If a staight ε: y=(-λ+μ)x +2λ -μ , (where μ and λ are real numbers) passes through point A(0,1) and is parallel to an other straight lin. ζ: y= -2x + 2008 find λ and μ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear that when x=0 we know that 2λ-μ=1 which is one of the equations we should use to solve the system. Also the second line is of type y= -αx+ β and since they are parallel the same and for the first line What upsests me is the parallel lines which I don't know how to work with. PLease help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
PhysicS FAN said:

Homework Statement

If a staight ε: y=(-λ+μ)x +2λ -μ , (where μ and λ are real numbers) passes through point A(0,1) and is parallel to an other straight lin. ζ: y= -2x + 2008 find λ and μ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

It is clear that when x=0 we know that 2λ-μ=1 which is one of the equations we should use to solve the system. Also the second line is of type y= -αx+ β and since they are parallel the same and for the first line What upsests me is the parallel lines which I don't know how to work with. PLease help me.
Parallel lines have the same slope. The slope of the second line is -2. What must be the slope of the first line?

Why not call the lines L1 and L2? Greek letters are almost never used as labels for lines.

Mark44 said:
Parallel lines have the same slope. The slope of the second line is -2. What must be the slope of the first line?

Why not call the lines L1 and L2? Greek letters are almost never used as labels for lines.
Thank you for your help. (It's a Greek book the one that I saw the problem:smile:)

1. What is a graph?

A graph is a visual representation of data that shows the relationship between two or more variables. It consists of a set of points, called coordinates, that are connected by lines or curves.

2. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical rule that assigns a unique output value for every input value. It can be represented as a graph, table, or equation.

3. What are coordinates?

Coordinates are pairs of numbers that represent a point on a graph. The first number represents the horizontal position, or x-coordinate, and the second number represents the vertical position, or y-coordinate.

4. How do you plot points on a graph?

To plot a point on a graph, you need to locate its coordinates on the x and y axes and mark the point where they intersect. The x-coordinate tells you how far left or right the point is, and the y-coordinate tells you how far up or down the point is.

5. What is the difference between independent and dependent variables in a graph?

An independent variable is the input or the variable that is being changed or controlled in an experiment. A dependent variable is the output or the variable that is affected by the independent variable. In a graph, the independent variable is typically represented on the x-axis and the dependent variable on the y-axis.