Determinant of a 4x4 Matrix - Check my answer please?

The determinant of the given 4x4 matrix is 2a^2 + 6a + 4. You can also verify this using an online calculator like Wolfram Alpha.
Tanarif

Homework Statement

Hey guys, I usually have no trouble with 3x3 matrices, and for a 4x4 I've a rough idea how to do it but not entirely sure if I did it correct. I've attached my attempt below with working out.

The matrix:

[itex]\begin{pmatrix} 0 & 2 & 0 & 0 \\7 & a+1 & 3 & a+1 \\1 & 0 & 2 & 0 \\ a & 1 & a-2 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

My working out, question 6a here:
oad8bo.jpg

And the answer I got is: [itex] 2a^2 + 6a + 4 [/itex]

Could anyone give me a quick hand as to whether that looks right / if not, how to go about doing it? Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method and solution looks correct.

1. What is a determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a mathematical value that can be calculated from the entries of the matrix. It provides important information about the matrix, including whether it is invertible and the volume of the parallelepiped defined by the column vectors.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be calculated using a specific formula that involves expanding the matrix using minors and cofactors. This process can be time-consuming, but it can also be simplified by using row operations or using a calculator.

3. What does a determinant of 0 mean?

A determinant of 0 means that the matrix is not invertible, also known as singular. This means that the matrix does not have a unique solution and cannot be used to solve a system of equations. In geometric terms, it means that the column vectors are linearly dependent and therefore do not span a 3-dimensional space.

4. Can the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be negative. The determinant is a scalar value and does not have a direction. The negative value simply indicates that the orientation of the column vectors is opposite to that of a positively oriented basis.

5. How can I check if my answer for the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is correct?

To check if your answer for the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is correct, you can use a calculator or a software program that can calculate determinants. You can also use properties of determinants, such as the fact that interchanging two rows or columns changes the sign of the determinant, to verify your answer.