Determinant of a matrix with identity blocks

In summary, the conversation is about computing the determinant of a matrix A using a permutation matrix P. After introducing the permutation P, it is stated that detA = (-1)^n * (-1)^n = 1, but there is confusion about how the sign of P is (-1)^n. It is then explained that P is a linear map and acts on n-tuples or vectors, and this clarifies the confusion. The conversation ends with a thank you for the explanations.
penguin007
Hi all,
I'm studying my mathematics lesson, and there is an example I can't understand:

Consider the matrix
A=(0 In)
(-In 0)
with In the identity nxn
We want to compute detA :

We introduce the permutation
p=(1 2 ... n n+1 ... 2n)
(n n+1 ... 2n 1 ... n )

s.t if we apply p to the columns of A, then we get
B=(In 0)
(0 -In)
(so far so good)

then we say: detB=(-1)^n (ok)
the sign of p is (-1)^n (all right)

then detA=(-1)^n*(-1)^n=1...(why?)

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
penguin007 said:
… then we say: detB=(-1)^n (ok)
the sign of p is (-1)^n (all right)

then detA=(-1)^n*(-1)^n=1...(why?)

Hi penguin007! :smile:

PA = B, so detP*detA = detB :wink:

How'd you get the sign of p is [itex](-1)^n[/itex]? That's where the problem lies.

Hi tiny-tim:
I think I got it but I thought a map could be defined by a matrix only if it was linear?? Yet I can see p has a matrix (the one that reverses the columns 1 and n...) so:
is p a linear map? or can some non linear maps have a matrix??

vela:
s=The sign of p is given by (-1)^(the number of inversions by p) I counted n-2 inversions then s=(-1)^n...

Thanks again

Hi penguin007! :smile:
penguin007 said:
Hi tiny-tim:
I think I got it but I thought a map could be defined by a matrix only if it was linear?? Yet I can see p has a matrix (the one that reverses the columns 1 and n...) so:
is p a linear map? or can some non linear maps have a matrix??

P is linear :smile:

what makes you think it isn't? :confused:

penguin007 said:
vela:
s=The sign of p is given by (-1)^(the number of inversions by p) I counted n-2 inversions then s=(-1)^n...
Oy, I misread what you wrote in this thread too. I think I'll just shut up now. :redface:

tiny-tim:
please correct me: p is a permutation; p is linear would mean, for instance:p(3)=p(1+2)=p(1)+p(2), but p(3)=n+2<>p(1)+p(2)...( I know there is a snag, but where??)

vela:
That's all right, these things happen to everyone.

penguin007 said:
p is a permutation; p is linear would mean, for instance:p(3)=p(1+2)=p(1)+p(2), but p(3)=n+2<>p(1)+p(2)...

oh i see …

no, these Ps acts on n-tuples (or vectors).

So eg P12(a,b,c,d,e,f) = (b,a,c,d,e,f),

and you can check that P12(a+A,b,c,d,e,f) = (b,a,c,d,e,f) + (b,A,c,d,e,f) = P12(a,b,c,d,e,f) + P12(A,b,c,d,e,f) :wink:

Thanks a lot tiny-tim for all these explanations, now I understand!

1. What is a determinant?

A determinant is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the properties of a matrix. It is represented by a number and can only be calculated for square matrices.

2. What is a matrix with identity blocks?

A matrix with identity blocks is a special type of matrix where the main diagonal is composed of identity matrices and the rest of the elements are zeros. It is denoted by a block diagonal matrix with identity blocks on the main diagonal.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a matrix with identity blocks?

The determinant of a matrix with identity blocks can be calculated by taking the product of the determinants of the individual identity matrices on the main diagonal. This means that the determinant of the entire matrix will be equal to the product of the determinants of the individual identity matrices.

4. What are the properties of a matrix with identity blocks?

Some properties of a matrix with identity blocks include:

• The determinant of the matrix is equal to the product of the determinants of the identity matrices on the main diagonal.
  • The inverse of the matrix can be easily calculated by replacing the individual identity matrices on the main diagonal with their corresponding inverses.
  • The matrix is a diagonal matrix, meaning that it is easy to perform operations such as multiplication and addition.
  • The matrix is also an idempotent matrix, meaning that when multiplied by itself, it results in the same matrix.

5. How is a matrix with identity blocks used in real-world applications?

A matrix with identity blocks is commonly used in linear algebra and is particularly useful when solving systems of equations. It is also used in various applications such as computer graphics, cryptography, and engineering, where it can simplify calculations and make the overall process more efficient.