Determinant of an n x n matrix

In summary, the determinant of the given matrix can be found using expansion by minors or by using row operations to simplify the matrix and then taking the determinant. The final answer will be (-1)^(n-1)*n.
Unredeemed

Homework Statement

Find the determinant of the matrix given by:

\begin{array}{ccc}
1 & 2 & 3 & ... & n \\
2 & 2 & 3 & ... & n \\
3 & 3 & 3 & ... & n \\
. & . & . & & . \\
. & . & . & & . \\
. & . & . & & . \\
n & n & n & ... & n \end{array}

Homework Equations

We use expansion by minors to find determinants.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I computed the matrix for n = 1, 2, 3 and 4 and so reckon I need to show that the determinant is equal to (-1)^(n-1)*n.

I tried expanding by minors in the last row, but that just seems to give me a load of slightly smaller matrices of which I must find the determinant...

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to use expansion by minors on the original matrix? It is easy to simplify this matrix a lot with row (or column) operations, and determine the determinant afterwards in a very simple expansion.

In what way can you transform the determinant without changing its final value?

mfb said:
Do you have to use expansion by minors on the original matrix? It is easy to simplify this matrix a lot with row (or column) operations, and determine the determinant afterwards in a very simple expansion.

Row operations hadn't crossed my mind! (Feel a bit foolish seeing as the chapter is on determinants and row operations!)

That's a really good point though. Will have a go using EROs now.

EDIT: Done! Thanks a lot. Once you use EROs, the answer pretty much drops out. For anyone who's interested, you take the 1st column away from all the other columns and then expand by minors in the bottom row as it has an n as its first entry and then the rest are zeros. So, you get (-1)^(n-1)*n multiplied by the determinant of an upper triangular matrix with ones as the entries for all of its diagonals - so its determinant is one. Thanks again.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of determinant of an n x n matrix?

The determinant of an n x n matrix is a numerical value that is calculated from the elements of the matrix. It represents the scaling factor of the transformation represented by the matrix.

2. How is the determinant of an n x n matrix calculated?

The determinant of an n x n matrix can be calculated using various methods, such as the cofactor expansion method or the row reduction method. The specific method used depends on the size and complexity of the matrix.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of an n x n matrix?

The determinant of an n x n matrix is used in various mathematical applications, including solving systems of linear equations, calculating the area of a parallelogram or volume of a parallelepiped, and determining whether a matrix is invertible.

4. Can the determinant of an n x n matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of an n x n matrix can be negative, positive, or zero. The sign of the determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and the method used to calculate it.

5. What happens if the determinant of an n x n matrix is equal to zero?

If the determinant of an n x n matrix is equal to zero, it means that the matrix is singular and does not have an inverse. This has important implications in linear algebra and can affect the solvability of systems of linear equations.