Determinant of linear transformation

In summary, the problem involves finding the determinant of a linear transformation T(M)=[1,2,2,3]M+[1,2,2,3] from the space of symmetric 2x2 matrices to itself. The solution involves writing T as a 4x4 matrix using a basis of 2x2 matrices and then finding the determinant of this 4x4 matrix.
riordo

Homework Statement

symmetric 2 × 2 matrices to V.Find the determinant of the linear transformation T(M)=[1,2,2,3]M+[1,2,2,3] from the space V of symmetric 2 × 2 matrices to V.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hi this is my first post so if I break a rule please let me know so I can correct the issue. also is there some way to present the problems the way they are given in the text.

in this problem would you add the two matrices together and then multiple by a single M? for example [1,2,2,3]+[1,2,2,3]=[2,4,4,6]M=(2M*6M)-(4M*4M)=-4?

Physics news on Phys.org
The obvious way to do it is to write T as a 4x4 matrix using a basis of the 2x2 matrices, but there may be a more clever way. You could also write it as a 3x3 using the fact the matrices are symmetric. Welcome to the forum, riordo. You originally wrote [1,2,2,3]M+M[1,2,2,3], right? And you do mean [1,2,2,3]=[[1,2],[2,3]] as a symmetric 2x2 matrix, yes?

yes..thank you.

what would the 4x4 matrix look like? if you add a 2x2 matrix to another 2x2 matrix the solution is a 2x2 matrix...[[1,2],[2,3]]+[[1,2],[2,3]]=[[2,4],[4,6]]...right?

Sure. But in your problem, if I write it is as T(M)=A*M+M*A where A=[[1,2],[2,3]] you don't even know that A and M commute. So you can't write A*M+M*A as 2*A*M. And besides the matrix representation of T isn't 2x2. To do it directly a basis for 2x2 matrices is [[1,0],[0,0]], [[0,1],[0,0]], [[0,0],[1,0]] and [[0,0],[0,1]]. If you write M as a linear combination of those you can work out T as a 4x4 matrix. And then take the determinant of that 4x4. As I said, I'm not promising this is the easiest way. But it will work.

What is the determinant of a linear transformation?

The determinant of a linear transformation is a scalar value that is calculated based on the transformation matrix of the linear transformation. It represents the scaling factor of the transformation and can be used to determine properties such as invertibility and orientation.

How is the determinant of a linear transformation calculated?

The determinant of a linear transformation is calculated by taking the determinant of the transformation matrix. This is done by using a specific formula depending on the size of the matrix, which involves calculating the products and sums of the elements of the matrix.

What does the determinant tell us about a linear transformation?

The determinant of a linear transformation can tell us several things, including whether the transformation is invertible or not. A determinant of zero indicates that the transformation is not invertible, while a non-zero determinant means that the transformation is invertible. The determinant can also tell us about the scaling and orientation of the transformation.

How is the determinant of a linear transformation used in practical applications?

The determinant of a linear transformation has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, find the volume of a parallelepiped, and determine the orientation of objects in space. In computer graphics, the determinant is used to transform objects in 3D space.

Can the determinant of a linear transformation be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a linear transformation can be negative. This indicates that the transformation involves a reflection or a rotation that changes the orientation of the transformed object. A positive determinant indicates that the transformation preserves orientation, while a negative determinant indicates that the orientation is reversed.