1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinants from any row or column

1. Jul 6, 2011 #1
    I'm having a problem with this rule in general. Apparently one can calculate the determinant by multiplying the cofactors and entries of any row or any column of a matrix. I have a negative that pops up. I'll take a 3X3 matrix for simplicity.

A=
    |a b c|
    |d e f|
    |g h i|

calculating from the top row we have:
    det(A)=a(ei-fh)-b(di-fg)+c(dh-eg) = aei-afh-bdi+bfg+cdh-ceg
    calculating from the middle row we have
    det(A)=d(bi-ch)-e(ai-cg)+f(ah-bg) = -aei+afh+bdi-bfg-cdh+ceg

The determinant seems to change by a factor of negative 1. This also seems to make sense from row operations. If for example, I swap the first and the second row to yield a matrix B, Then det(B)=-det(A). Yet if I calculate using entries and cofactors corresponding to the second row of B and the first row of A, the cofactor expansion of the two determinants will be identical. Though I'm told that we can start from any row or column, what did I miss? Thanks all.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That's because you are doing the second one incorrectly. The rule is that if you have [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] times its cofactor, you must multiply by [itex](-1)^{i+j}[/itex]. The simplest way to get that factor is to start at the top left and move by horizontally or vertically, alternating "+" and "-".

So for your first calculation, "expanding on the first row", you should have "+, -, +" ([itex]a_{11}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{1+1}= 1[/itex], [itex]a_{12}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{1+2}= -1[/itex], [itex]a_{13}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{1+ 3}= 1[/itex]) as you have. But "expanding on the second row", it should be "-, + , -" ([itex]a_{21}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{2+1}= -1[/itex], [itex]a_{22}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{2+2}= 1[/itex], [itex]a_{23}[/itex]: [itex](-1)^{2+3}= -1[/itex]) which changes the sign.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  4. Jul 6, 2011 #3
    Thank you, perfect, so I was using the minor of each entry which doesn't include the (-1)^(i+j), which is necessary for the cofactor because Cij=(-1)(i+j)Mij. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook