Determination of irreducible polynomials over a given field

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of finding irreducible polynomials of the form xsquared + ax + b over the field F3. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in determining whether a polynomial is reducible or irreducible, and the use of a specific trick to factorize certain polynomials. Finally, it is stated that if a quadratic polynomial is reducible, then its factors must be linear and can be found by solving for 0, 1, or 2.
catcherintherye
I am required to find all irreducible polynomials of the form xsquared + ax + b over the field F3, I have the 9 cases infront of me, i can see when something is reducible say xsquared is p(x)q(x) where p=x, q=x, but i have particular difficulty seeing when something is irreducible, e.g i know that xsqd + x + 2 is but i don't know how to show it, just as i do not know how xsqd + x +1 is irreducible over F2, although i can see how xsqd + 1 is since xsqd +1 = xsqd + 2x + 1 =(x+1)sqd, how do i know that a similar trick could not have been employed to make xsqd + x + 1 factorise?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just a quadratic. If it is reducible then the factors are linear. So it is reducible if and only if one of 0,1,2 is a solution.

Finding irreducible polynomials over a given field can be a challenging task, but there are some techniques that can help us determine if a polynomial is irreducible. In your case, you are required to find all irreducible polynomials of the form xsquared + ax + b over the field F3.

One way to determine if a polynomial is irreducible is by using the Eisenstein's criterion. This criterion states that if a polynomial of the form ax^n + bx^(n-1) + ... + k has a prime number p that divides all coefficients except the leading coefficient a, and p^2 does not divide the constant term k, then the polynomial is irreducible.

In your example, xsquared + x + 2 has coefficients 1, 1, and 2, which are all divisible by 1 (a prime number). Also, 1^2 does not divide 2, so by Eisenstein's criterion, xsquared + x + 2 is irreducible over F3.

For xsquared + x + 1, we can try to use the same technique. However, in this case, all coefficients are divisible by 1 and 1^2 also divides 1. So, Eisenstein's criterion cannot be applied here.

Another way to determine irreducibility is by using the fact that a polynomial of degree 2 is irreducible if and only if it has no roots in the given field. In F3, the only possible roots are 0, 1, and 2. So, we can check if xsquared + x + 1 has any of these values as a root. If none of them is a root, then the polynomial is irreducible. In this case, none of the values is a root, so xsquared + x + 1 is also irreducible over F3.

Lastly, we can also try to factorize the polynomial and see if it can be written as a product of two polynomials of lower degree. For example, if we try to factorize xsquared + x + 1, we get (x+1)(x+1) which is not of the form xsquared + ax + b. This shows that xsquared + x + 1 cannot be factorized and is therefore irreducible over F3.

In conclusion, there are different methods that can be used to determine irreducibility of a polynomial over a given field. In your case, you can

1. What is an irreducible polynomial?

An irreducible polynomial is a polynomial that cannot be factored into lower degree polynomials over a given field.

2. How is the determination of irreducible polynomials over a given field useful?

Determining the irreducible polynomials over a given field is useful in various areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry, number theory, and coding theory.

3. How do you determine if a polynomial is irreducible over a given field?

One method is to try to factor the polynomial into lower degree polynomials. If it cannot be factored, then it is irreducible. Another method is to use the Eisenstein's criterion or the rational root theorem.

4. Can a polynomial be irreducible over one field but reducible over another?

Yes, a polynomial can be irreducible over one field and reducible over another. The irreducibility of a polynomial depends on the properties of the specific field it is being evaluated in.

5. Are there any tools or algorithms to assist in determining irreducible polynomials?

Yes, there are various algorithms and tools available, such as the Berlekamp's algorithm and the LLL algorithm. These algorithms use mathematical properties and techniques to efficiently determine the irreducibility of polynomials over a given field.