Determine a formula for the acceleration of each block

In summary, the motion of the two blocks depends on the coefficients of friction, with the acceleration and tension in the cord being equal for part (a) and no tension for part (b). To solve for the acceleration and tension, you only need two equations in two unknowns.
endeavor

Homework Statement

For two blocks, connected by a cord and sliding down the incline shown in the figure, describe the motion (a) if [tex]\mu_1 < \mu_2[/tex], and (b) if [tex]\mu_1 > \mu_2[/tex]. (c) Determine a formula for the acceleration of each block and the tension FT in teh cord in terms of m1, m2, and [tex]\theta[/tex]; interpret your results in light of your answers to (a) and (b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5930/chp5pro22nd5.th.png
I need help on part c.

I got two equations in three unknowns ([tex]T, a_1, a_2[/tex]), and I don't know what to do:
[tex]m_1 g \sin \theta - F_{fk1} - T = m_1 a_1[/tex]
[tex]T + m_2 g \sin \theta - F_{fk2} = m_2 a_2[/tex]
[tex]F_{fk1} = \mu_1 N_1[/tex]
[tex]F_{fk2} = \mu_2 N_2[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
endeavor said:

Homework Statement

For two blocks, connected by a cord and sliding down the incline shown in the figure, describe the motion (a) if [tex]\mu_1 < \mu_2[/tex], and (b) if [tex]\mu_1 > \mu_2[/tex]. (c) Determine a formula for the acceleration of each block and the tension FT in teh cord in terms of m1, m2, and [tex]\theta[/tex]; interpret your results in light of your answers to (a) and (b).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/5930/chp5pro22nd5.th.png
I need help on part c.

I got two equations in three unknowns ([tex]T, a_1, a_2[/tex]), and I don't know what to do:
[tex]m_1 g \sin \theta - F_{fk1} - T = m_1 a_1[/tex]
[tex]T + m_2 g \sin \theta - F_{fk2} = m_2 a_2[/tex]
[tex]F_{fk1} = \mu_1 N_1[/tex]
[tex]F_{fk2} = \mu_2 N_2[/tex]
If the blocks move together with tension in the cord, their accelerations are equal. What if the tension in the cord is negative under this assumption?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I see...
So under the conditions of part (a), a1 = a2. And under the conditions of part (b), there is no tension. So now there's only two unknowns in two equations.

endeavor said:
Oh I see...
So under the conditions of part (a), a1 = a2. And under the conditions of part (b), there is no tension. So now there's only two unknowns in two equations.
Yes, that is correct.

What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

What is the formula for acceleration?

The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

How do I determine the acceleration of each block in an experiment?

To determine the acceleration of each block, you will need to measure the change in velocity and the change in time for each block. Then, plug those values into the formula for acceleration.

Can the acceleration of a block be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a block can be negative. This indicates that the block is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction of its initial velocity.

How does the mass of a block affect its acceleration?

The mass of a block does not directly affect its acceleration. However, a heavier block may require more force to accelerate at the same rate as a lighter block.