Determine force of water on plate

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the force exerted by water on a plate using the linear momentum equation. The problem involves a constant velocity of 5 m/s, two pressures, and a control volume. The conversation also mentions a momentum balance and the net pressure force acting on the fluid. The final solution involves finding the rate of change of momentum within the control surface, which is zero, so there is no need to know the density or velocity of the water.
Bluestribute

Homework Statement

As water flows through the pipe at a velocity of 5 m/s, it encounters the orifice plate, which has a hole in its center. The pressure at A is 255 kPa , and at B it is 180 kPa, Assume water is ideal fluid, that is, incompressible and frictionless. Determine the force the water exerts on the plate. Consider the volume of water between A and B as a control volume and apply linear momentum equation.

Homework Equations

F = d/dt ∫ρVdv + ∫Vρ(V•n)dA

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I have velocity of 5 m/s, which is constant.
The density of the water should remain constant throughout time and space
I have two pressures
The area I used was π(200mm - 75mm)2

But I don't know what to do with volume, the integrals, anything. I don't even know if I'm using the right equation. Is this a Conservation of Energy equation instead? I know that has explicit pressure terms . . . But the problem says linear momentum . . . So do I use ρA + ρA?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the force that the water exerts on the plate, you need to determine the force that the plate exerts on the water. To do that, you need to do a momentum balance. If the inlet and outlet flows and velocities are the same, what is the rate of change of momentum of the fluid in passing through the control volume? What is the net pressure force acting on the fluid in the control volume? What other force is acting on the fluid in the direction of flow?

Chet

So are you saying the CS integral will simply be ρV2A, and the other term will be ρV(dv/dt). Since you said a rate of change. And I don't know how to relate explicitly density and velocity to force

Bluestribute said:
So are you saying the CS integral will simply be ρV2A, and the other term will be ρV(dv/dt). Since you said a rate of change. And I don't know how to relate explicitly density and velocity to force
The rate of change of momentum within the control surface is zero:

[ρV2A]out-[ρV2A]in=0

So you don't have to know ρ and you don't have to know V.

1. What factors affect the force of water on a plate?

The force of water on a plate is affected by the density and velocity of the water, as well as the size and angle of the plate.

2. How do you calculate the force of water on a plate?

The force of water on a plate can be calculated by using the formula F=ρAv², where ρ is the density of the water, A is the area of the plate, and v is the velocity of the water.

3. Can the force of water on a plate be greater than the weight of the plate?

Yes, the force of water on a plate can be greater than the weight of the plate if the density and velocity of the water are high enough.

4. How does the shape of the plate affect the force of water?

The shape of the plate can affect the force of water by changing the direction and distribution of the force. A curved plate may experience a different force than a flat plate.

5. How can the force of water on a plate be used in engineering and design?

The force of water on a plate can be used in engineering and design to create structures that can withstand strong water currents, such as dams and bridges. It can also be used to generate energy through hydropower systems.