Determine how high the ball is (from the ground)

• Thread starter Demonsthenes
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ball Ground
In summary, the professor presented a problem involving a third baseman throwing a ball to first base. Using equations for projectile motion, it was determined that the ball would reach a height of 5.54217 meters and would not be catchable at that height. The throw was unsuccessful.
Demonsthenes
My professor decided to throw us a curveball to try and solve the following problem:

A third baseman makes a throw to first base 38m away. The ball leaves his hand with a speed of 36m/s at a height of 1.7 meters from the ground and making an angle of 14 degrees with the horizontal.

a) Determine how high the ball is (from the ground) when it gets to the first base.
b) Is the throw successful

No equations given.

My shot at the problem

a) It would be a parabolic function because of its projectile nature. Thus the equation using H,R is y=a(x-1/2R)^2 + H. where a = -g/2(V0)cos^2(theta).

First i solved R:
R=Vo^2(sin(2theta))/g
=(36m/s)^2(sin(28))/9.8m/s2
= 62.085m

Then i solved for H
I used h as H-1.7 due to the fact that the curve only applies to that area over the basemans arm to the next point where H = 1.7.

h=Vo^2(sin^2(theta))/2g
h=(36m/s)^2(sin^2(14))/19.6m/s2
h=3.87 + 1.7= H= 5.57

So here's the parabolic function now:

y= (-(9.8m/s2)/2(36m/s)^2(cos^2(14deg)))(x-.5(62.085m))+ 5.57m
y= (-.004 no units)(x-31.0425m)+5.57m
f(38 [length from 3rd to 1st baseman]) = (-.004*6.9575)+5.57 {m}
f(28) = 5.54217 m above the base.

So therefore i got the answer to b) being that no, the catch wasn't made because the ball is three times higher than a normal human height (1.8m), thus the catch was not made.

Hopefully i can get help with this... i appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Checking by a different method, by calculating the horizontal and vertical velocity components: 36 sin (14) & 36 cos (14) , we can see from the results that the ball gets to first base in just over a second, just past the top of it's arc. That's only halfway toward calculating the final height, but certainly it would not be catchable.

I would first like to commend you on your approach to solving the problem. Your use of the equations for projectile motion and parabolic functions is correct and your calculations seem to be accurate.

To answer the first part of the question, the height of the ball when it reaches first base is approximately 5.54 meters above the ground. This is slightly higher than a normal human height, as you mentioned, and may make it difficult for the first baseman to catch the ball.

As for whether the throw is successful or not, it ultimately depends on the skill of the first baseman. If they are able to jump or reach high enough to catch the ball, then the throw can be considered successful. However, if they are unable to catch it, then the throw can be considered unsuccessful.

In addition, there are other factors that can affect the success of the throw, such as wind resistance and air density. These factors were not given in the problem, so it is difficult to determine the exact success of the throw.

Overall, your approach to solving the problem was correct and your answer is reasonable. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you determine the initial height of the ball?

The initial height of the ball can be determined by measuring the distance between the ground and the starting point of the ball's motion. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. What factors affect the height of the ball?

The height of the ball is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity of the ball, the angle at which it is thrown, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and any obstacles in the ball's path can also affect its height.

3. How can you calculate the maximum height of the ball?

To calculate the maximum height of the ball, you can use the equation h = (v02sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. Can the height of the ball be determined without any equipment?

Yes, the height of the ball can be estimated without any equipment by using the principles of projectile motion. However, using equipment such as a ruler or a stopwatch can provide more accurate measurements.

5. How does air resistance affect the height of the ball?

Air resistance can decrease the height of the ball by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This force depends on the size, shape, and speed of the ball, and can be reduced by throwing the ball at a higher initial velocity.