1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine if the non-linear set of equations has unique solution

1. Nov 14, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine if the following set of equations has unique solution of the form ##g(z)=(x,y)## in the n-hood of the origin. $$\begin{cases} xyz+\sin(xyz)=0 \\ x+y+z=0 \end{cases}$$

2. Relevant equations
    I assume I am supposed to use the implicit function theorem
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implicit_function_theorem

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let's consider function ##F:ℝ^3\rightarrow ℝ^2, F(x,y,z)=(xyz+\sin(xyz),x+y+z).## Now ##F(0,0,0)=(0,0)## and ##F\in{C^{1}}## but the Jacobian of ##F## at the origin is: ##
    J_f(0)=[Df(0)]=\begin{bmatrix}
    0 & 0 & 0 \\
    1 & 1 &1
    \end{bmatrix},## which implies that ##[Df(0)]## is not surjective, thus the implicit function theorem doesn't apply directly. I think the next step is to define another function such that we can apply the implicit function theorem to that and maybe find a solution which uniqueness is guaranteed by the theorem. Am I on the right track?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2016 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

No, I don't think so. Read the question carefully:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2016
  4. Nov 14, 2016 #3
    O.k. How would one proceed in this case? Should I construct a counterexample?

5. Nov 14, 2016 #4

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If the answer to the question in the problem were positive, there would exist ##\epsilon > 0## and a function ##g : (-\epsilon,+\epsilon) \times (-\epsilon,+\epsilon) \to \mathbb{R}## such that for all ##x,y \in (-\epsilon,+\epsilon)## the triple ##(x,y,z) = (x,y, g(x,y))## satisfies the system of equations.

Please make sure you understand why this is.

It follows from the system of equations that such a function cannot exist, no matter how small you choose ##\epsilon > 0## to be. It is up to you to explain why this is. (You do not need any theorems for this.)

6. Nov 15, 2016 #5
    I think I got the right intuition, but I am not sure if this counterexample is rigorious enough.

If we consider the function ##F##, we notice that ##F(\epsilon,-\epsilon,0)=(0,0)## ##∀\epsilon>0##.
    Because we can choose ##\epsilon## to be arbitrarily small, ##\nexists{R>0}## such that n-hood of the origin ##B(0,R)## would contain a unique solution ##(x,y,z)## such that ##F(x,y,z)=0##. Thus the set of equations doesn't have a unique solution in any n-hood of the origin.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  7. Nov 16, 2016 #6
    Could someone please verify if I got it right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted