1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine inital force from velocity and weight

1. Nov 29, 2013 #1
    Firstly, I am sorry for what is likely stupidly simple question however I cant find a helpful answer in Google so I must be missing obvious.

Can you determine the initial force that moved an object by knowing only its current velocity and weight?

So if a 1kg object is moving through space a 1m/s does that mean it was initially accelerated with a force of 1N?

(PS: I am aware there is no force acting on a object with a constant velocity, what I want to find is how much force made that object move in the first place)

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2013 #2
    No, that is not possible.

A weak force acting over a long period of time and a strong force acting over a short period of time can accelerate the object to the same velocity. This is further complicated by the fact that the force, while accelerating, need not be constant in magnitude and direction.

4. Dec 8, 2013 #3
    righto. thanks for the reply. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook