1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine minimum value of integral

1. Mar 6, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Determine minimum value of integral ##B(y)=\int_{0}^{2}({y}')^2dx## for function ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## and ##y(0)=y(2)=0## and ##\int_{0}^{2}y^2dx=4##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

IF I am not mistaken, the idea is to first find the function ##y## for given conditions and than calculate ##B(y)##.

My idea:

Since ##y\in C^1(\mathbb{R})## I simply started with polynomial ##y(x)=ax^2+bx+c##. Of course ##y(0)=0## so immediately ##c=0## than ##y(2)=0=4a+2b=0## so ##b=-2a##.

Third condition says ##\int_{0}^{2}y^2dx=\int_{0}^{2}(ax^2+bx)^2dx=4##

##\frac{32a^2}{5}+\frac{ab16}{2}+8b^2=4## using ##b=-2a## gives me ##a=\sqrt{\frac{5}{28}}## and ##b=-\sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}##.

So using ##y(x)=\sqrt{\frac{5}{28}}x^2-\sqrt{\frac{5}{7}}x## the ##B(y)=\int_{0}^{2}({y}')^2dx=\frac{5}{3}##.

Or is it not?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure how to work that problem, but I'm pretty sure that isn't it. There are lots of functions that satisfy ##y(0)=y(2)=0## such that ##\int_0^2 y^2~dx = 4##. You are to find the one that minimizes ##\int_0^2 y'^2~dx## over all such functions. You must be pretty lucky if the one function you found is it. This looks like a calculus of variations problem. I'm not very familiar with such problems, but if that's what you are studying, surely your text must give a method for solving them.

4. Mar 6, 2014 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You made some errors: after solving ##y(2) = 0## to get ##b = -2a##, your other condition should be
    [tex]\int_0^2 (ax^2 - 2ax)^2 \, dx = 4[/tex]

More seriously: why would you assume a quadratic polynomial? How do you know that a polynomial of degree 1000 won't produce better results? How do you know that you could not do better using a non-polynomial?
    You need to use a Lagrange multiplier method:
    [tex] \min \left( \int_0^2 y'^2 \, dx + \lambda \int_0^2 y^2 \, dx \right)[/tex]
    where ##\lambda## is a constant. This gives a Lagrangian of ##L = y'^2 + \lambda y^2##. Now apply the Euler-Lagrange equations.

5. Mar 6, 2014 #4
    Hmmm, I completely agree with you. I guess I should go the opposite way and firstly find a general function that minimizes the integral and than find one that satisfies given conditions.

And yes I am dealing with variations problems.

6. Mar 6, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's not clear to me what course this is for or what knowledge you have. If this we in a "Calculus of Variations" class then I would think that a good "Relevant Equation" would be the Euler-Lagrange equation: if f minimizes
    [tex]\int_{x_1}^{x_2} L(x, y, y')dx[/tex]
    then
    [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial y}- \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{\partial L}{\partial y'}\right)= 0[/tex]

But you seem to be saying this is just for a Calculus class. My question then is do you have any reason to assume the solution can be written as a polynomial? And even so, why quadratic? There appear to be four conditions to be met:
    (1)y(0)= 0.
    (2)y(2)= 0.
    (3)[tex]\int_0^2 y^2 dx= 4[/tex] and
    (4)[tex]\int_0^2 (y')^2dy[/tex] is a minimum.

If I had reason to believe that y was a polynomial function of x, seeing that there were four conditions to be met, I would expect a polynomial with four constants to be determined, a cubic polynomial.

7. Mar 6, 2014 #6
    I integrated here [tex]\int_0^2 y(x)^2 \, dx = 4[/tex] where I used ##y(x)=ax^2+bx+c##, however one of the conditions already gave me ##c=0## so ##\int_0^2 (ax^2+bx)^2 dx = 4##. After integrating I used the fact that ##b=-2a##.

Since ##b## and ##a## are not functions of ##x##, I don't think this actually plays a huge role here. Unless I am mistaken.

Haha, I know that simply by having only two conditions. :D Thanks for the hint. Will do that and publish it here.

EDIT: This is in a way also answer to Hallsoflvy. Why two and not four as you stated?... Yup, that's what I am asking myself at this very moment when you are making it obvious. :D

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. Mar 6, 2014 #7
    Version 2.0:

##F(y,{y}')=\int_{0}^{2}({y}')^2dx+\lambda \int_{0}^{2}y^2dx=\int_{0}^{2}(({y}')^2+\lambda y^2)dx##

Let's say that ##L=({y}')^2+\lambda y^2##, than Euler-Lagrange equation tells me that

##2\lambda y-2{y}''=0## which is a differential equation with solutions ##y(x)=Ae^{\sqrt{\lambda }x}+Be^{-\sqrt{\lambda }x}##.

Condition ##y(0)=0## gives me ##A+B=0## and from ##y(2)=0## I get

##Ae^{\sqrt{\lambda }2}+Be^{-\sqrt{\lambda }2}=0##

##Ae^{4\sqrt{\lambda }}=-B##

##-Be^{4\sqrt{\lambda }}=-B##

##4\sqrt{\lambda }=ln(1)=0## therefore ##\lambda =0##.

This has to be wrong but I can't find a mistake...

9. Mar 6, 2014 #8

pasmith

Homework Helper

You've made the error of assuming that [itex]\lambda > 0[/itex]. If [itex]\lambda = -k^2 < 0[/itex] you get a solution in terms of sines and cosines, and you can choose [itex]k > 0[/itex] such that [itex]\sin(2k) = 0[/itex].

(There are a countable infinity of such [itex]k[/itex], so you'll have to decide which of them minimizes [itex]B(y)[/itex].)

Finding [itex]\lambda[/itex] such that [itex]y'' = \lambda y[/itex] has a non-zero solution with [itex]y(0) = y(L) = 0[/itex] is a standard eigenvalue problem which you will probably see again in other contexts.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  10. Mar 6, 2014 #9
    Ok, so for ##\lambda >0## nothing interesting happens.

Now let's assume that ##\lambda <0##, than ##y(x)=Ae^{i\sqrt{\lambda}x}+Be^{-i\sqrt{\lambda}x}=Asin(\sqrt{\lambda}x)+Bcos(\sqrt{\lambda}x)##.

Due to ##y(0)=0## we find out that ##B=0##.

Also ##y(2)=0=Asin(2\sqrt{\lambda})##. Since we are looking for non trivial solutions, let's assume that ##A\neq 0##, than ##2\sqrt{\lambda}=n\pi ##.

##\sqrt{\lambda}=\frac{n\pi }{2}## so ##y(x)=Asin(\frac{n\pi }{2}x)##.

Using condition ##\int_{0}^{2}y^2dx=4## we get value for ##A## which is ##A=2\sqrt{2}##.

Now finally ##y(x)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    0 ;& \lambda \geq 0\\
    2\sqrt{2}sin(\frac{n\pi }{2}x) ; &\lambda <0
    \end{matrix}\right.##

Now ##B(y)=\int_{0}^{2}({y}')^2dx## to determine ##n## and finally the right ##y(x)##.

##B(y)=2n^2\pi ^2## and obviously ##n=1## if we want ##B(y)## to be minimzed but not zero.

Therefore ##y(x)=2\sqrt{2}sin(\frac{\pi }{2}x)##.

Right or wrong... You guys are being very helpful! Thanks to all of you!

11. Mar 8, 2014 #10
    Since nobody had any complaints, I assume everything is more or less ok and the next step is to say thanks to you.

So, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted