1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine shortest distance a car could stop without causing serious injury

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    It may be assumed that the human body can withstand an acceleration of 3g's without sustaining serious injury. A person is driving a car at 60 miles per hour. Determine the shortest distance such that the car could be brought to a stop (at constant acceleration) without the driver sustaining serious injury.

2. Relevant equations
    Ag's = a/g
    d = (Vi + Vf)/2 * t (d stands for displacement)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I converted the 3g's into an acceleration so I at least have a comparable number when I try and get the answer. 3*32ft/s2 = 96ft/s2

I haven't done this type of problem in quite a few months, so I forget where to start per say. I did convert the 60 miles per hour to feet per second, 88ft/s. I don't remember if the equation I listed above is the right one to use in this situation, especially since I don't know time or the displacement.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you are initially traveling at 88 ft/s, how much time will it take to come to rest if you are decelerating at 96 ft/s per second?

Then you can use your distance formula.

(There are also other formulas for constant acceleration. There's a formula that will give you the distance directly from the initial and final velocities and the acceleration without needing the time.)

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    You need to use an equation that doesn't involve time.
    You can use
    v^2 = u^2 + 2as

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4
    thank you! I figured I had the information I needed, I just wasn't sure about the equation necessary to find the solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook