1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine ## \sum \frac{1}{n^{p}ln(n)} ## diverges for 0<p<1

1. May 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

## \sum \frac{1}{n^{p}ln(n)} ##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

All the common tests I have tried are inconclusive. I have the feeling that direct comparison test is the way to go, but I cannot seem to find what to compare ## \frac{1}{n^{p}ln(n)} ## to.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2013 #2
    Try plugging in [itex] p=1 [/itex] and see whether that one diverges first, from there it should be easy.

4. May 30, 2013 #3
    i don't see how plugging p=1 gets you anywhere other than showing that it diverges for p=1. For p=1 you can use integral test.

I ended up using cauchy condensation test http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cauchy_condensation_test

Then showed that the series in this test diverges (using ratio test) for 0<p<1 thus implying the original diverges

5. May 30, 2013 #4
    I think kontejnjer's point is that once you establish that it diverges for p=1, you can use the comparison [itex] \frac{1}{n^pln(n)}>\frac{1}{nln(n)} [/itex] for [itex] 0<p<1 [/itex]

6. May 30, 2013 #5
    ah hah. much more elegant

7. May 31, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Even more elegant: choose k > 0 so that p + k < 1. Since ##\ln(n)/n^k \to 0## as ##n \to \infty,## we have ##\ln(n) \leq n^k## for all ##n \geq N(k)##, where ##N(k)## is finite.
    Thus, for ##n \geq N(k)## we have
    [tex] \frac{1}{n^p \ln(n)} \geq \frac{1}{n^{p+k}} \geq \frac{1}{n} [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted