1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the base unit for the magnetic flux

1. Feb 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The e.m.f E of a battery is given by [tex]E = \frac{P}{I}[/tex] where P is the power supplied from the battery when current I flows through it. An e.m.f. [tex]{E_c}[/tex] can also be induced in a coil when the magnetic flux, [tex]\Phi [/tex], associated with it changes with time, t, as expressed by [tex]{E_c} = \frac{{d\Phi }}{{dx}}[/tex]. Determine the base unit for the magnetic flux.

Answer is [tex]kg{m^2}{A^{ - 1}}{s^{ - 2}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]E = \frac{P}{I} = \frac{{kg{m^2}{s^{ - 2}}}}{{A \cdot s}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to integrate [tex]E = \frac{P}{I} = \frac{{kg{m^2}{s^{ - 2}}}}{{A \cdot s}}[/tex] but was stuck at getting the answer. Please help
    Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2009 #2
    There is no need to integrate,just rearrange your equation to make phi the subject then insert the base units and tidy it up.

4. Feb 22, 2009 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Power = workXtime= kg*m^2*s^-3
    flux = Pxs/I.
    Now find the final unit.

5. Feb 22, 2009 #4
    Flux=Px/I.You have the right units for P,x is s and I is A

6. Feb 22, 2009 #5
    Thanks for the replies, however, aren't we suppose to extract information that is provided by the question?

How do you guys deduce the answer from [tex]{E_c} = \frac{{d\Phi }}{{dx}}[/tex] ?

7. Feb 22, 2009 #6
    Phi=Ex

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook