1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the components of P in the i, j, and k directions.

1. Aug 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    As shown, a pole is subjected to three forces: F, P, and T. The force F expressed in Cartesian vector form is F=[5 i+7 j+6 k] N. Force P has magnitude 7.48 N and acts in the direction given by these direction angles: α=143∘, β=57.7∘, and γ=74.5∘ to the x, y, and z axes, respectively. Force T lies within the yz plane, its direction is given by the 3-4-5 triangle shown, and its magnitude is 14 N.
    Determine the components of P in the i, j, and k directions.

2. Relevant equations
    A_x=Acos(α)
    cos^2(α)+cos^2(β)+cos^2(λ)=1

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I'm very confused as to how to approach this problem. I was under the impression that the x component was 0, y component was 8.40 and the z component was 11.2. I solved these by making a 2D plane from the P vector into a 3-4-5 right triangle. 3 on y, 4 on z, and 5 as the hyp.
    I would really appreciate a better explanation of how to approach this question..I think I'm making it more difficult than it is.
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why arer F and T given if P is the only force to be found? It's not as if P is somehow related to T and/or F.

4. Aug 28, 2013 #3
    There are multiple parts to the question.. I'm only asking about the P vector.

5. Aug 28, 2013 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Taking just the x component of P, the only way that component could be zero is if alpha = 90 (or 270) deg.

Look at P: what is the projection of P along the x axis?
    Hint: cos(α) = P*i/|P|

(vectors in bold, * signifies dot product)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted