1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the direction of movement of a point on wave

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1-3.jpg

The figure shows a longitudinal wave moving to the right. Indicate the direction of motion of the points A and B

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    How to determine the direction; either to the left or right?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2
    If not told the direction the wave was traveling the sketch could be three things, a longitudinal wave traveling to the left or traveling to the right, and also a standing longitudinal wave.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    It is given in the question, the wave is moving to the right. However, I still don't know how to determine the direction of movement of the points :tongue:

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4
    Let the density of your wave material be,

ρ = 1 + Δcos(x - t) where Δ << 1

dρ/dt = - dJ/dx --> J = Δcos(x - t) ?

Where the density peaks the velocity peaks in the forward direction and where the density is minimum the velocity peaks in the backwards direction, see,

http://lifgarbagez.ucdavis.edu/~dmartin/phy7/7C/java/longitudinal.html [Broken]

Make the wave go to the right and slow it down.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    Sorry I haven't covered about the density of wave material and I don't have the plugin to open the link given; I'll try to install it later.

Is there any easier way to explain point A moves either to the left or right? Because this is actually lesson for eight grade (second year of middle school)

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  7. Jan 26, 2012 #6
    My best guess is that A and B is compression and it will turn to rarefaction so A will move to the left and B to the right...but that's just pure guess :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook