1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Snapshot of a travelling harmonic wave

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    proxy.php
    The graph shows a snapshot of a travelling harmonic wave; eight points are indicated. Answer the five questions by selecting from the choices below.

1. A) → B) ← C) ↓ D) ↑ E) the velocity is zero
      1. If the wave is moving to the right, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 6?
      2. If the wave is moving to the left, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 3?
      3. If the velocity of the particle at point 3 is given by the arrow D, in which direction is the wave moving?
      4. If the velocity of the particle at point 3 is given by the arrow C, in which direction is the wave moving?
      5. If the wave is moving in the direction A, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 7?
    2. Relevant equations
    None.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought 1. up
    2. down
    3.right
    4. left
    5. up
    not really sure what I'm doing wrong or if I've just completely misunderstood how to determine particle movement..

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not sure which of your answers you are saying you are told are wrong. I agree with all your answers except 5.

4. Nov 26, 2014 #3
    The program will only say its correct if you have all answers correct. I've got the answer now, but I'm not really sure why the velocity would be 0 at 7..would it also be 0 at one of the maximums?

5. Nov 26, 2014 #4
    Yes, the instantaneous velocity would be zero at either a maximum or minimum. Think of it like this: just before the minimum passes point 7, the point is moving down. After the minimum has passed the point, it would be moving up. So what happens in between those cases at the exact moment the point is at the minimum?

6. Nov 26, 2014 #5
    Ahh okay I get it now. Thanks guys!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted