Snapshot of a travelling harmonic wave

In summary, the conversation discusses a graph showing a traveling harmonic wave with eight indicated points. The questions ask about the direction of velocity at different points and how it relates to the direction of the wave. The correct answers are: 1. up, 2. down, 3. right, 4. left, 5. zero. The velocity at point 7 would also be zero at a maximum or minimum point.
PhysicsMan999

Homework Statement

proxy.php
The graph shows a snapshot of a traveling harmonic wave; eight points are indicated. Answer the five questions by selecting from the choices below.

1. A) → B) ← C) ↓ D) ↑ E) the velocity is zero
    1. If the wave is moving to the right, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 6?
    2. If the wave is moving to the left, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 3?
    3. If the velocity of the particle at point 3 is given by the arrow D, in which direction is the wave moving?
    4. If the velocity of the particle at point 3 is given by the arrow C, in which direction is the wave moving?
    5. If the wave is moving in the direction A, what is the direction of the velocity of the particle at point 7?

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought 1. up
2. down
3.right
4. left
5. up
not really sure what I'm doing wrong or if I've just completely misunderstood how to determine particle movement..[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure which of your answers you are saying you are told are wrong. I agree with all your answers except 5.

The program will only say its correct if you have all answers correct. I've got the answer now, but I'm not really sure why the velocity would be 0 at 7..would it also be 0 at one of the maximums?

Yes, the instantaneous velocity would be zero at either a maximum or minimum. Think of it like this: just before the minimum passes point 7, the point is moving down. After the minimum has passed the point, it would be moving up. So what happens in between those cases at the exact moment the point is at the minimum?

Ahh okay I get it now. Thanks guys!

1. What is a travelling harmonic wave?

A travelling harmonic wave is a type of mechanical wave that propagates through a medium, such as air or water, in a periodic motion. It is characterized by its frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, and can be described using mathematical equations.

2. How is a travelling harmonic wave created?

A travelling harmonic wave is created when a disturbance or vibration is applied to a medium. This disturbance causes particles in the medium to oscillate back and forth, creating a wave that travels through the medium.

3. What is the difference between a travelling harmonic wave and a standing wave?

A travelling harmonic wave moves through a medium, while a standing wave appears to be stationary. In a standing wave, the particles of the medium do not move, but instead vibrate in place. Standing waves are formed when two travelling waves with the same frequency and amplitude interfere with each other.

4. What are some real-life examples of travelling harmonic waves?

Some common examples of travelling harmonic waves include sound waves, water waves, and electromagnetic waves. These waves can be observed in everyday life, such as hearing music, watching waves on the beach, or using a cell phone.

5. How can we measure the properties of a travelling harmonic wave?

The properties of a travelling harmonic wave, such as frequency, amplitude, and wavelength, can be measured using various instruments. For example, a microphone can measure the frequency and amplitude of a sound wave, while a ruler or measuring tape can measure the wavelength of a water wave.