Determine the displacement of the object

In summary, the question asks to find the displacement of an object on a graph from 0 s to 80 s. To do this, we subtract the initial position (0 m) from the final position (5 m). The correct answer is +5 i^, as indicated by the unit vector button on the tool.
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly does the question ask you to do?

It asks me to find the displacement of an object on the graph from 0 s to 80 s. I would subtract initial position (0 m) from final position (5 m) and got my attempted answers. However, they were incorrect. How would you do? Thank you!

Manh said:
It asks me to find the displacement of an object on the graph from 0 s to 80 s. I would subtract initial position (0 m) from final position (5 m) and got my attempted answers. However, they were incorrect. How would you do? Thank you!
Your answer looks right to me. It might be worth posting the exact wording, just in case.

Determine the displacement of the object.
Express your answer in terms of unit vector i^. To denote unit vectors in your answer, be sure to select the 'unit vector' button.
= ------- m

Similar picture of the tool: http://help.pearsoncmg.com/masterin...magesStudent/numeric_units_provided_html5.png

So I copy and paste word by word of the question but I wonder if my answers were wrong because it had to something with 'unit vector' button or signs. I clearly see the form of filling in the blank already has a unit of meter (m). Since it is a computational homework, I really don't know what it wanted me to do.

Manh said:
Determine the displacement of the object.
Express your answer in terms of unit vector i^. To denote unit vectors in your answer, be sure to select the 'unit vector' button.
= ------- m

Similar picture of the tool: http://help.pearsoncmg.com/masterin...magesStudent/numeric_units_provided_html5.png

So I copy and paste word by word of the question but I wonder if my answers were wrong because it had to something with 'unit vector' button or signs. I clearly see the form of filling in the blank already has a unit of meter (m). Since it is a computational homework, I really don't know what it wanted me to do.
In the blue menu bar at the top of the screenshot, the two leftmost items have white symbols on a grey background. I would guess that clicking (or hovering over?) these produces a pull-down menu. In particular, the leftmost looks like it might hold a collection of useful mathematical symbols, such as a unit vector. If not, try the other one, which appears to be for Greek characters etc.

I see the unit vector button now and so the answer is +5 i^, right?

Manh said:
I see the unit vector button now and so the answer is +5 i^, right?
Yes.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object from its original starting point to its final position.

2. How is displacement calculated?

Displacement is calculated by subtracting the initial position from the final position of an object. It is represented by the symbol Δx.

3. What is the unit of measurement for displacement?

The unit of measurement for displacement is typically meters (m) in the metric system or feet (ft) in the imperial system.

4. How is displacement different from distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that takes into account the direction of an object's movement, while distance is a scalar quantity that only measures the total amount of ground an object has covered.

5. Can displacement be negative?

Yes, displacement can be negative if an object moves in the opposite direction of its initial position. A positive displacement indicates a movement in the same direction as the object's initial position.