1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the displacement of the object

1. Aug 30, 2015 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2015 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What exactly does the question ask you to do?

4. Aug 30, 2015 #3
    It asks me to find the displacement of an object on the graph from 0 s to 80 s. I would subtract initial position (0 m) from final position (5 m) and got my attempted answers. However, they were incorrect. How would you do? Thank you!

5. Aug 30, 2015 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your answer looks right to me. It might be worth posting the exact wording, just in case.

6. Aug 31, 2015 #5
    Determine the displacement of the object.
    Express your answer in terms of unit vector i^. To denote unit vectors in your answer, be sure to select the 'unit vector' button.
    = ------- m

Similar picture of the tool: http://help.pearsoncmg.com/masterin...magesStudent/numeric_units_provided_html5.png

So I copy and paste word by word of the question but I wonder if my answers were wrong because it had to something with 'unit vector' button or signs. I clearly see the form of filling in the blank already has a unit of meter (m). Since it is a computational homework, I really don't know what it wanted me to do.

7. Aug 31, 2015 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

In the blue menu bar at the top of the screenshot, the two leftmost items have white symbols on a grey background. I would guess that clicking (or hovering over?) these produces a pull-down menu. In particular, the leftmost looks like it might hold a collection of useful mathematical symbols, such as a unit vector. If not, try the other one, which appears to be for Greek characters etc.

8. Aug 31, 2015 #7
    I see the unit vector button now and so the answer is +5 i^, right?

9. Sep 1, 2015 #8

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted