Free vibration in 2DOF spring mass systems

M2H37
Homework Statement
Identify the experimental value of the natural frequencies and mode shapes using the graphs obtained from the experimental data
Relevant Equations
Unsure
I am completely new to this subject and I am trying to find out how I read data off a displacement vs time graph to find the natural frequencies and mode shapes. Lecturer hasn't provided any materials on graphs, just looking for some help and where to go so I can understand it. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @M2H37 ,
:welcome: ##\qquad ##!​

You've come to the right place for help !
For good assistance, it's best to ask answerable questions: we need you to point us in the direction of assistance that is useful for you. The more specific, the better.

In this case: find a typical exercise with a "displacement vs time graph" and point out what it is you don't undestand.

You're new to the subject, so I don't expect a highbrow mathematical approach is appropriate at this point.

##\ ##

The statement does not mention anything about displacement versus time graphs. Why do yo think that such graphs are relevant to the question? Is the assignment statement as given in the OP or there is more to it?

1. What is a 2DOF spring mass system?

A 2DOF spring mass system is a mechanical system composed of two masses connected by springs, with each mass having two degrees of freedom (DOF). This means that each mass can move independently in two directions, typically along the x and y axes.

2. What is free vibration in a 2DOF spring mass system?

Free vibration refers to the natural oscillation of a mechanical system without any external forces or damping present. In a 2DOF spring mass system, this refers to the motion of the masses after they have been displaced from their equilibrium positions and released.

3. What factors affect the free vibration of a 2DOF spring mass system?

The free vibration of a 2DOF spring mass system is influenced by several factors, including the masses of the objects, the stiffness of the springs, and the initial displacement of the masses. The presence of damping and external forces can also affect the free vibration behavior.

4. How is the natural frequency of a 2DOF spring mass system calculated?

The natural frequency of a 2DOF spring mass system can be calculated using the formula:
ωn = √(k/m), where ωn is the natural frequency, k is the spring stiffness, and m is the mass of the object.

5. What is the significance of studying free vibration in 2DOF spring mass systems?

Studying free vibration in 2DOF spring mass systems is important for understanding the dynamic behavior of mechanical systems and predicting their response to external forces. This knowledge is crucial in various fields, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and aerospace engineering.