Determine the function from a simple condition on its Jacobian matrix.

In summary, we are trying to prove that the isometry group of Minkowski spacetime is the Poincaré group, defined as the set of all affine maps ##x\mapsto \Lambda x+a## such that ##\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta##. We have a smooth function ##\phi:\mathbb R^4\to\mathbb R^4## satisfying ##J_\phi(x)^T\eta J_\phi(x)=\eta##, where ##J_\phi(x)## is the Jacobian matrix of ##\phi## at x, and ##\eta## is a given matrix. We want to prove that there exists a linear map ##\Lambda:\mathbb R
Here's a summary of what I know and don't know. I assume that [itex]\eta[/itex] is some [itex]N\times N[/itex] symmetric matrix, which does not have zero as its eigenvalue. The mapping [itex]\phi[/itex] always means some mapping [itex]\mathbb{R}^N\to\mathbb{R}^N[/itex].

Definition: The mapping [itex]\phi[/itex] has a property AFF if it can be written in form [itex]\phi(x)=Ax+a[/itex] with some matrix [itex]A[/itex] and a vector [itex]a[/itex], and also
[tex]
A^T\eta A = \eta.
[/tex]

Definition: The mapping [itex]\phi[/itex] has a property ISO if it satisfies
[tex]
\big(\phi(x)-\phi(y)\big)^T\eta \big(\phi(x)-\phi(y)\big) = (x-y)^T\eta (x-y)
[/tex]
for all [itex]x,y[/itex].

Definition: The mapping [itex]\phi[/itex] has a property INF if it satisfies
[tex]
\big(\phi(x+h)-\phi(x)\big)^T \eta\big(\phi(x+h)-\phi(x)\big) = h^T\eta h+o(\|h\|^2)
[/tex]
in the limit [itex]h\to 0[/itex] for all [itex]x[/itex].

Definition: The mapping [itex]\phi[/itex] has a property PDE if it satisfies
[tex]
\big(\nabla\phi(x)\big)^T\eta\big(\nabla\phi(x)\big) = \eta
[/tex]
for all [itex]x[/itex].

I know that AFF[itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex]ISO.

I know that INF[itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex]PDE.

Also ISO[itex]\Longrightarrow[/itex]INF is obvious.

So to summarise, we have [itex]\Big([/itex]AFF[itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex]ISO[itex]\Big)\underset{!}{\Longrightarrow}\Big([/itex]INF[itex]\Longleftrightarrow[/itex]PDE[itex]\Big)[/itex].

The final mystery to me is that how to replace the arrow marked with exclamation marks into an equivalent symbol, pointing in both directions.

Physics news on Phys.org
So there was some confusion about the precise meaning of isometry. But I guess we are still wondering the same problem.

Let [itex]\Omega\subset\mathbb{R}^2[/itex] be some bounded open set containing the origin.

Suppose [itex]\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] is a collection of lines such that none of the lines in this collection intersect each other in [itex]\Omega[/itex], and also for every point [itex]x\in\Omega[/itex], there exists some line going through it.

In other words [itex]L_1,L_2\in\mathcal{L}_0[/itex], [itex]L_1\neq L_2[/itex] implies [itex]L_1\cap L_2\cap \Omega = \emptyset[/itex], and [itex]\forall x\in\Omega\;\exists L\in\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] such that [itex]x\in L[/itex].

First question. Are all lines in [itex]\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] parallel to each other neccessarily? The answer is no. For example, the lines could be of the form [itex]\{(R-t\cos(\theta),t\sin(\theta))\;|\;t\in\mathbb{R}\}[/itex] with some constants R (large) and [itex]\theta[/itex]. The lines intersect in point [itex](R,0)[/itex], but it is outside [itex]\Omega[/itex].

Suppose [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] is collection of curves such that for every point in [itex]\Omega[/itex] there exists a curve in [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] such that the curve goes through the point, and also that the curves do not intersect each other inside [itex]\Omega[/itex]. Also let's assume that when a curve of [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] intersects a line of [itex]\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] the intersection is always perpendicular.

Continuing the previous example, the curves of [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] would need to be of the form [itex]\{(R-t\cos(\theta),t\sin(\theta))\;|\;\theta\in\mathbb{R}\}[/itex] with some constants [itex]t[/itex]. So inside [itex]\Omega[/itex] these curves are pieces of circles, with center in [itex](R,0)[/itex].

Final piece: Let's insist, that the curves of [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] must be straight lines too. Is it now neccessary, that lines in [itex]\mathcal{L}_0[/itex] are parallel to each other, and also lines in [itex]\mathcal{L}_1[/itex] are parallel to each other? I think the answer is yes. But how do you prove this?