Determine the largest weight of the lamp that can be supported

  • Thread starter Thread starter Robb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lamp Weight
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Robb
Messages
225
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement



Hibbeler14.ch3.p34.jpg

Each cord can sustain a maximum tension of 31 lb .

Determine the largest weight of the lamp that can be supported.
Determine θ of cord DC for equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I found the answer to the first part of the problem (24.4lb) but not sure how to get theta.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the maximal weight without knowing the angle?
Robb said:
but not sure how to get theta.
What did you try so far?
What is the first step?
 
Sorry for the hand written notes. The answer to the first part is boxed in in the middle of the page. I haven't really done anything other than stare at my equations for the second part. I assume I am working with the equations associated with the FBD at the bottom of the page. T(1)=12.63lb., T(2)=17.86lb, T(3)=30.93lb
upload_2016-10-2_20-47-40.png
 
As mfb posted, you cannot be sure of your answer to a) until you have found theta.
You can find T4 from analysis of B.