Determine the largest weight of the lamp that can be supported

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum weight that a cord can support and finding the angle necessary for equilibrium. The maximum tension of the cord is 31 lb and the largest weight of the lamp that can be supported is 24.4 lb. The first part of the problem is solved, but the second part requires finding the angle theta. Further analysis and equations are needed to solve for theta, and the connection between cords CD and CB must also be considered.
Robb

Homework Statement

Hibbeler14.ch3.p34.jpg

Each cord can sustain a maximum tension of 31 lb .

Determine the largest weight of the lamp that can be supported.
Determine θ of cord DC for equilibrium.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the answer to the first part of the problem (24.4lb) but not sure how to get theta.

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get the maximal weight without knowing the angle?
Robb said:
but not sure how to get theta.
What did you try so far?
What is the first step?

Sorry for the hand written notes. The answer to the first part is boxed in in the middle of the page. I haven't really done anything other than stare at my equations for the second part. I assume I am working with the equations associated with the FBD at the bottom of the page. T(1)=12.63lb., T(2)=17.86lb, T(3)=30.93lb
upload_2016-10-2_20-47-40.png

As mfb posted, you cannot be sure of your answer to a) until you have found theta.
You can find T4 from analysis of B.

The CD connection could break as well. You cannot know when that happens without the angle.

1. How is the largest weight of the lamp determined?

The largest weight of the lamp is determined by calculating the maximum weight that the lamp can safely support without breaking or causing damage to the surface it is placed on.

2. What factors affect the largest weight that can be supported by a lamp?

The largest weight that can be supported by a lamp is affected by factors such as the material and construction of the lamp, the type of surface it is placed on, and the strength and stability of the lamp's base.

3. Is there a standard weight limit for lamps?

There is no standard weight limit for lamps as it can vary depending on the design and materials used. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's instructions for the specific weight limit of a particular lamp.

4. How can I determine the weight limit of my lamp?

To determine the weight limit of your lamp, you can refer to the manufacturer's instructions or contact the manufacturer directly. You can also conduct a weight test by gradually adding weights to the lamp until it shows signs of strain or instability.

5. Can I exceed the weight limit of my lamp?

It is not recommended to exceed the weight limit of your lamp as it can compromise its safety and cause damage. It is important to adhere to the weight limit set by the manufacturer to ensure the longevity and functionality of your lamp.