1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the most probable radius for a 2s orbital (Hydrogen atom)

1. Nov 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the most probable radius for a 2s orbital (Hydrogen atom)

2. Relevant equations

Wavefunction for a 2s orbital:

1/(4√2pi*a^(3⁄2) ) (2-r⁄a) e^((-r)⁄(2a)) where, a=bohr radius

3. The attempt at a solution

First step:
    find the probability density by squaring the wavefunction and multiplying but the spherical element of Volume

Second step:
    Set the derivative of the probability density equal to zero to solve for where the slope of the plotted function is equal to zero
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So you know all the steps, you simply have to go ahead!

Are you stuck on something?
  4. Oct 7, 2009 #3
    i am working on the same problem, and i am stuck on one particular part, when i take the derivative and set it equal to zero i end up with a cubic polynomial, like

(r/a)^3 - 6(r/a)^2 + 8r/a - 4 =0

not sure it this is correct, and if it is then do i need to use a graphing program to calculate the min and max points (roots) or is there an easier way?

thanks in advance for any help...
  5. Dec 14, 2010 #4
    Stuck on this problem also!!

I get to a stage where I get a massive cubic equation...I'm assuming I've gone wrong somewhere...

Any help? Or any online resources where the problem is worked through...?
  6. Dec 14, 2010 #5
    think i ended up solving it sometime last year.. think the equation factors to something like: (x-4)*(x-2)*(x-2)=0 or something like that.. roots are then 4 & 2.. cant remember exactly but hope this points you in the right direction.... oh x=r/a) of course..
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?