Distribution of charge in hydrogen atom

In summary, the hydrogen atom has a point charge located in the center of the atom, surrounded by a negative charge that is distributed in the space around it. The charge distribution changes according to a law p=Ce^(-2r/R), where C is a constant.
Peter Velkov
Suppose the hydrogen atom consists of a positive point charge (+e), located in the center of the atom, which is surrounded by a negative charge (-e), distributed in the space around it.

The space distribution of the negative charge changes according to the law p=Ce^(−2r/R), where C is a constant, r is the distance from the center of the atom, and R is Bohr's radius.

Find the value of the constant C by using the electrical neutrality of the atom.

I don't think I understand the charge distribution very well. I tried integrating the total negative charge of the sphere ( atom ), since I know it's equal to ( -e ).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show us what you did when you integrated the distribution.

Edit: the model is really, really bad by the way, but for the sake of the problem, let us assume it is not.

Без име.png

Sorry about the format. I don't know if the last line makes sense.
In the way I understand it the negative charge in a point should be p = Ce^(-2r/R). However I think i am wrong. Thank you in advance.

You cannot do it like an integral in one dimension, the distribution is three dimensional.

Peter Velkov said:
Ce(−2r/R)
I see now that you really meant e^(-2r/R) with e being the base of the natural logarithm and not multiplication by the charge e. This is normally denoted by ^ or if you do not find that symbol by writing out "exp" for "exponential function".

Yes, it's three dimensional, for a three dimensional point. But can't I integrate it for the whole radius, and then use the standard volume formula?
Furthermore, I know Bohr's radius is the mean of the orbit, but can it be used to derive the radius of the atom.

Peter Velkov said:
View attachment 90505
Sorry about the format. I don't know if the last line makes sense.
In the way I understand it the negative charge in a point should be p = Ce^(-2r/R). However I think i am wrong. Thank you in advance.
The modulus square of a wavefunction, ##p(r)## in your notation, describes the probability density of the electron and it has a dimension of inverse volume. You can therefore build the charge density ##\rho(r)## by multiplying ##p(r)## with the electron charge ##e##, so ##\rho(r) = e p(r)##. The total charge is then just the integral of this quantity over all space, not just until certain radius like you did there.

Did anyone get an answer for that? P L E A S E

Lucas Silva said:
Did anyone get an answer for that? P L E A S E
We don't give out answers to schoolwork questions on the PF.

IF you want to discuss a similar schoolwork problem you have, please start a new thread and fill out the Homework Help Template you are provided, showing your work. Thank you.

1. What is the distribution of charge in a hydrogen atom?

The charge in a hydrogen atom is distributed in a spherical manner, with the positive nucleus at the center and the negative electron cloud surrounding it.

2. How is the charge distributed in the electron cloud of a hydrogen atom?

The charge in the electron cloud of a hydrogen atom is not evenly distributed. It is more concentrated towards the center, near the nucleus, and becomes less dense as it moves further away from the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of the charge distribution in a hydrogen atom?

The charge distribution in a hydrogen atom plays a crucial role in determining the atom's chemical and physical properties. It also affects the interactions between atoms and molecules.

4. Can the distribution of charge in a hydrogen atom change?

The distribution of charge in a hydrogen atom can change if the atom gains or loses electrons. In this case, the electron cloud will adjust to accommodate the new charge distribution.

5. How does the distribution of charge in a hydrogen atom differ from other atoms?

The distribution of charge in a hydrogen atom is unique because it only has one positively charged nucleus and one negatively charged electron. Other atoms may have multiple protons and electrons, leading to a more complex charge distribution.