Normalisation of the radial wavefunction in 2s state?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the normalisation constant, N, for the radial wave function in the 2s state for hydrogen. The function is given as R20(r) = N (1−r/2a0) e-r/a0, and the goal is to find the value of N that will make the integral of the squared wave function equal to 1. The speaker is having trouble taking out the constants a0 and a02 and is seeking advice.
ASSAem
OP warned about not using the homework template
Okay, so I've been set this homework to find the normalisation constant, N, for the radial wave function in the 2s state for hydrogen (my title was too long to fit that vital information in). thing is; I'm having a bloody hard time and in the process confusing myself with trying to take out all constants from the integral after normalising the radial wavefunction.
we are given that the radial wavefunction in the 2s state for hydrogen is:

R20(r) = N (1−r/2a0) e-r/a0

where N is the normalisation constant.
Im going to attach a picture of what i have done so far, as

a)I'm new to this and have no idea how to insert formulae
b)typing it out in this way would be confusing for people...i think.

29472975_10215886387812098_8789544730384924672_n.jpg

So I get to here, where I've squared out the wavefunction in order to normalise it to equal 1; and as I am integrating w.r.t. r; I need to keep those into the equation.

the problem i am having is taking out the constants a0 and a02
so i tried taking it apart but i think this is incorrect.

can anyone give any advice? thank you :)

Attachments

• 29472975_10215886387812098_8789544730384924672_n.jpg
    29472975_10215886387812098_8789544730384924672_n.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 875
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are a couple of things wrong here.

First,
$$
N^2 (1 + a + b) \neq N^2 + 1 + a + b
$$

Second, you have a similar problem in the integral. ##r/a_0## cannot become ##1/a_0 + r##, and so on.

1. What is the radial wavefunction in the 2s state?

The radial wavefunction in the 2s state is a mathematical function that describes the probability density of finding an electron at a certain distance from the nucleus in a hydrogen atom. It is part of the Schrödinger equation and is dependent on the principal quantum number (n) and the azimuthal quantum number (l) of the electron.

2. Why is it necessary to normalize the radial wavefunction in the 2s state?

Normalizing the radial wavefunction in the 2s state ensures that the total probability of finding the electron at any distance from the nucleus is equal to 1. This is important because it allows us to accurately calculate the probability of finding the electron in a specific region of space.

3. How is the radial wavefunction in the 2s state normalized?

The radial wavefunction in the 2s state is normalized by dividing it by the square root of the integral of the square of the wavefunction over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding the electron is equal to 1.

4. What is the significance of the normalization constant in the 2s state?

The normalization constant in the 2s state is a numerical value that is used to scale the wavefunction so that it is properly normalized. It has no physical significance, but it is necessary for accurately calculating the probability of finding the electron in the 2s state.

5. How does the normalization of the radial wavefunction in the 2s state affect the energy of the electron?

The normalization of the radial wavefunction in the 2s state does not directly affect the energy of the electron. However, it does play a role in determining the overall shape and behavior of the wavefunction, which can indirectly influence the energy of the electron through the Schrödinger equation.