Determine the normal forces to hold an upside down cone

Can you explain it to me?In summary, the conversation revolves around holding an ice cream cone upside down with two fingers and determining the minimum normal force and coefficient of static friction needed to hold it up. The equations used include the sum of forces in the x-direction and y-direction, as well as the equation for static friction. The solution involves simplifying the equations and using the assumption that the normal force can be as large as needed, leading to the conclusion that the minimum value for μ is equal to tan(Θ).
Demetrius

Homework Statement

With two fingers, you hold an ice cream cone motionless upside down, as shown in the figure. The mass of the cone is m and the coefficient of static friction between your fingers and the cone is μ.μ When viewed from the side, the angle of the tip is 2Θ. What is the minimum normal force you must apply with each finger in order to hold up the cone? In terms of Θ, what is the minimum value of μ that allows you to hold up the cone? Assume that you can supply as large a normal force as needed.

upload_2017-9-5_0-16-10.png

Homework Equations

(eq.1) ## F_s = μ_sN ##
(eq. 2) ## F_s ≤ μ_sN ##

The Attempt at a Solution

After drawing a free body diagram, I wrote down the following equations:

$$

(eq.3)∑F_x = NcosΘ - NcosΘ + F_fsinΘ - F_fsinΘ

$$

$$

(eq.4) ΣF_y = mg + NsinΘ + NsinΘ - F_fcosΘ - F_fcosΘ

$$

Eq. 4 simplifies into:

$$

(Eq.4) 2F_fcosΘ = mg + 2NsinΘ

$$From this, I concluded that I need to only focus on the vertical components as the horizontal components cancel out with one another.

My only attempt at solving this is the following:

Since we need the Minimum normal force then we will need the maximum Static friction. So I can use Eq.1 instead of Eq.2. Additionally, In Eq.4 I can exchange ## F_f ## for ## μ_sN ## and I will have the following:

$$
2F_fcosΘ = mg + 2NsinΘ
$$
$$
2μ_sNcosΘ = mg + 2NsinΘ
$$
$$
N = \frac {mg} {2(μ_scosΘ-sinΘ)}
$$

However, this seems wrong. I do not think this will count as showing my work. Also, should I be using Eq.1 or Eq.2?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it seems wrong?

Orodruin said:
Why do you think it seems wrong?

Well, because when I swap out ##F_f## for ##μ_s## it feels as if I was making a mistake? Am I overthinking the problem?

Also for the second part of the question, here is my answer:

$$

μ_s = \frac {mg} {2NcosΘ} + {tan Θ}

$$

This answer makes sense to me. As the ##mg## increase than ##μ_s## needs to increase as well to compensate for the downward force.

Plus, as Θ → 0 ##pi/2## then ##μ_s## → ∞, which makes sense because the normal force will only be in the vertical direction, downward, and to keep the cone from falling then the ##μ_s## needs to be extremely large.

Demetrius said:
Am I overthinking the problem?
Yes.

Demetrius said:
Also for the second part of the question, here is my answer:

$$

μ_s = \frac {mg} {2NcosΘ} + {tan Θ}

$$

This answer makes sense to me. As the ##mg## increase than ##μ_s## needs to increase as well to compensate for the downward force.

In addition, you could consider the case when gravity is absent. In this limit ##\mu_s = \tan\theta##, representing the coefficient of friction needed in order the applied forces themselves not to push the cone away.

Okay just to be clear, the expression of ## μ_s## that I gave is the correct answer for the second question? Or are you telling me that the expression you gave is the solution and I need to rework my solution?

I am little confuse mainly because your expression is more clean than mines since it only depend on a function of Θ.

Demetrius said:
$$μ_s = \frac {mg} {2NcosΘ} + {tan Θ}$$

"Assume that you can supply as large a normal force as needed."

I understand, in order to supply a Large Normal force then gravity must be absent. There fore the answer is: ## u = tan(theta) ##

Right?

Demetrius said:
... in order to supply a Large Normal force then gravity must be absent.
I don't understand this statement. You are allowed to supply any value of N with gravity being always present.

There fore the answer is: ## u = tan(theta) ##

Right?
Yes. But I don't know exactly what your reasoning was to get this answer.

1. What is a normal force?

A normal force is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and acts in the opposite direction of the object's weight.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This value is then multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the object and the surface it is in contact with.

3. How does the normal force change when an object is upside down?

The normal force will still act in the direction perpendicular to the surface, but due to the change in orientation, the angle between the object and the surface will also change. This will result in a different magnitude of the normal force.

4. What factors can affect the normal force on an upside down cone?

The normal force can be affected by the mass of the cone, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle at which the cone is held upside down. Friction between the surface and the cone can also affect the normal force.

5. Why is it important to determine the normal forces on an upside down cone?

Knowing the normal forces on an upside down cone is important in understanding the forces acting on the object and ensuring its stability. It can also help in determining the amount of weight the cone can hold without toppling over.