1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the number of N of digital bits

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    On an audio compact disc (CD), digital bits of information are encoded sequentially along a spiral path. Each bit occupies about 0.28 um. A CD player's readout laser scans along the spiral's sequence of bits at a constant speed of about 1.2 m/s as the CD spins.

Determine the number N of digital bits that a CD player reads every second.

How should I start on this problem. Thank you !

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you had a conveyor belt going past at 5 m/s, and it was loaded with pencils arranged sideways on the belt, touching each other, and each pencil is 4mm in diameter - how many pencils pass each second.

You CD is like that with different sizes involved.

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just FYI, the phrase "digital bits" is a nonsensical. "Bits" means BINARY digits, not decimal digits.

5. Aug 26, 2011 #4
    So I would need to convert 5m/s to mm, which will then give me 5000mm/s?
    Then in order to fill the number of pencils pass each second, I would take 5000 mm/4 mm, which will then give me 1250 pencils?

As for the problem I posted, um is micrometer, right?
    So then I would need to convert 1.2 m/s to 1200000 um/s?

Then as I did before, I would need to take 1200000 um / 0.28 um, which will then give me 42.86E^6?

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5

PeterO

Homework Helper

That should be correct [I didn't check the calculation]. though that answer would be marked wrong in our school system. You have merely written down what the calculator said.

You should have said 4.3 x 10^7 [assuming you answer was correct] [or 43 x 10^6 if you are using engineering notation]

As I said, any submitted answer here, with an E in it, marked WRONG.

[and why only 4.3 rather than 4.286?]

7. Aug 27, 2011 #6
    I calculated that, and entered it in the system as 4.3 x 10^7, and it was right.
    This was for an online homework problem.

Thank you so much for your help.
    Have a great day !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook