Determine the point on the given curve

In summary, the person is asking about the format of their answer in a problem involving coordinates. They are wondering if they should leave their answer as b=1.386 or if they should format it as (x,y). The other person points out a mistake and suggests rewriting the equation to find the slope.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
I have my answer in an equation, but since it asks for a point, should I simply leave it as b=1.386?
Relevant Equations
n/a
q7.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 4.19.25 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: I have my answer in an equation, but since it asks for a point, should I simply leave it as b=1.386?
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 262591View attachment 262592
A point (in the context of this problem) has two coordinates, so the answer should be in the form of (x, y).

Mark44 said:
A point (in the context of this problem) has two coordinates, so the answer should be in the form of (x, y).
So I'd leave my final answer as (0.693,2.772)?

ttpp1124 said:
Homework Statement:: I have my answer in an equation, but since it asks for a point, should I simply leave it as b=1.386?
Relevant Equations:: n/a

View attachment 262591View attachment 262592
You have a mistake right off the bat. 2x + y = 5 is not equivalent to y = 2x + 5.

Instead of solving for the intercepts of the line and doing the slope formula, just rewrite the equation of the line in the form ##y=mx+b## then the coefficient ##m## of ##x## is the slope.

1. What is the equation for determining the point on a given curve?

The equation for determining the point on a given curve is typically in the form of y = f(x), where x represents the input value and y represents the output value.

2. How do you find the coordinates of a specific point on a curve?

To find the coordinates of a specific point on a curve, you can substitute the x-value of the point into the equation and solve for the corresponding y-value.

3. Can you determine the point on a curve without knowing the equation?

No, in order to determine the point on a curve, you need to know the equation that represents the curve.

4. What is the significance of determining the point on a curve?

Determining the point on a curve allows you to understand the relationship between the input and output values, and can help you make predictions or analyze patterns in the data.

5. Are there any tools or methods that can help with determining the point on a curve?

Yes, there are various mathematical tools and methods, such as graphing calculators, calculus, or algebraic techniques, that can aid in determining the point on a curve.