Determine the transmission coefficient for an electron

In summary, the speaker had an example problem in their book and uploaded an image. They were struggling with calculating the transmission coefficient and found that their answer was vastly different from the book's answer. However, they were able to figure out the problem on their own.
bobby.pdx
I have an example problem in my book. I have uploaded an image. The part I can't figure out is how to do the last part of the problem to come up with the transmission coefficient. The book gives me a formula but when I plug in all the numbers from the formula into my calculator I get a completely different answer than the book. The number I get is roughly 0.016 where as the book gets 0.963x10^-38. That is way different than what I'm getting and I'm not sure why. Any help would be awesome.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 5.09.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-24 at 5.09.28 PM.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 643
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind. I figured it out

1. What is the transmission coefficient for an electron?

The transmission coefficient for an electron is a measure of the probability of an electron passing through a barrier or potential energy barrier. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 1 representing complete transmission and 0 representing complete reflection.

2. How is the transmission coefficient for an electron calculated?

The transmission coefficient for an electron is calculated using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the behavior of quantum particles such as electrons. The equation takes into account the energy of the electron, the width and height of the barrier, and the electron's mass and charge.

3. What factors affect the transmission coefficient for an electron?

The transmission coefficient for an electron is affected by several factors, including the energy of the electron, the width and height of the barrier, the type of material the barrier is made of, and the angle at which the electron approaches the barrier. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and magnetic fields.

4. How does the transmission coefficient for an electron relate to the probability of transmission?

The transmission coefficient for an electron is directly related to the probability of transmission. A higher transmission coefficient means a higher probability of the electron passing through the barrier, while a lower transmission coefficient means a lower probability of transmission.

5. Why is the transmission coefficient important in quantum mechanics?

The transmission coefficient is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It allows us to predict the likelihood of an electron passing through a barrier, which is crucial in understanding various phenomena such as tunneling and quantum tunneling devices.