Determine the velocity of the Slider

  • Thread starter Thread starter Northbysouth
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Slider Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 6K views
Northbysouth
Messages
241
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


The 0.6 lbf slider moves freely along the fixed curved rod from A to B in the vertical plane under the action of the constant 1.3 lb tension in the cord. If the slider is released from rest at A, calculate its velocity v as it reaches B.


I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



As far as I can tell this is an energy problem, hence:

T1 + V1 + U1-2 = T2 + V2

T1 and V1 are zero as there is no initial energy, spring forces or gravitational forces at A.

Hence, I get:



(13/12)sin(67.38) = 1/2*(.6/32.3)v2b - 0.6*(10/32.3)

v = 11.28

Not quite the answer I'm looking for and I'm a little unsure where I'm making my mistake.

Any help would be appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • Practice ques 121.png
    Practice ques 121.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,007
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore everything left of the pulley for a moment. If you just watched the string coming over the pulley, how would you figure out the work done by the force?
(Also, I don't understand the division in this term: 0.6*(10/32.3))
 
First of all apparently the height equals 10 inches not feet.
So the horizontal distance = (24-6)/12 = 1.5 feet and the vertical distance = 5/6 feet
With that said let us solve it using the formula that work equals change in energy.

W = K.E.2 + U2 - (K.E.1 + U1)

As you said K.E.1 + U 1 equals 0 so let's figure out the other values

W = F*S*cosθ, F= 1.3, S= (1.52 + (5/6)2)1/2, θ = 0
So W ≈ 2.23

K.E.2 = 1/2 mv2, m = 0.6/32.3. So K.E. = 3/323 v2

U2 = mgh = 0.6*(5/6)= 0.5

So 2.23 = 3/323 v2 + 0.5
1.73 = 3/323 v2
v2 ≈ 186.26
v ≈ 13.64
 
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @Muhammad2548. Welcome to PF.

You may want to note that the thread is over 11 years old!
Yeah I made it for anyone unable to answer it like I was.