Determine torque required to accelerate the flywheel

In summary, a solid disk with a diameter of 500 mm and a mass of 60 kg is to be used as a flywheel in an energy recovery device. To accelerate the flywheel from rest to 250 rpm in 6 revolutions, the required torque can be calculated using the formula τ=Iα, where I is the moment of inertia and α is the angular acceleration. The moment of inertia for a solid disk can be calculated by multiplying the mass by the square of the radius. Using this information and the kinematic formulas for rotational motion, the required torque can be determined.
em3

Homework Statement

A solid disk of diameter equal to 500 mm and a mass of 60 kg is to be used as a flywheel in an energy recovery device. Determine the torque required to accelerate the rotation of the flywheel, about its axis, from rest to 250 rpm in 6 revolutions.

Homework Equations

[/B]
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 0.25

I = m *r2
I= 60 * 0.252
I = 3.75

3.75 * 26.17993
=98I'm not really sure what to do, I can't get the correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
It helps if you use units when doing your calculations. Then you might realize that 26.17 rad/sec is the angular velocity (equivalent to 250 rpm), not acceleration. It took 6 seconds to get up to this speed. How can you use this information to get angular acceleration?

em3 said:

Homework Statement

A solid disk of diameter equal to 500 mm and a mass of 60 kg is to be used as a flywheel in an energy recovery device. Determine the torque required to accelerate the rotation of the flywheel, about its axis, from rest to 250 rpm in 6 revolutions.

Homework Equations

[/B]
τ=Iα

The Attempt at a Solution

r = 0.25

I = m *r2
Is that the correct formula for the moment of inertia of a disk?
I= 60 * 0.252
I = 3.75
What are the units?
3.75 * 26.17993
=98
What were you trying to calculate there? Looks like you might be multiplying the angular velocity by your moment of inertia, but since there are no units shown we can't be sure.

The kinematic formulas that apply to linear motion can be applied to rotational motion if you substitute the analogous terms. So:

mass ⇔ moment of inertia,
velocity ⇔ angular velocity,
acceleration ⇔ angular acceleration,
force ⇔ torque,
distance ⇔ angular distance.

If you relate the rotational motion terms to those of linear motion you're given a mass (moment of inertia) , a final speed (angular velocity), and the distance covered (number of revolutions).

Sort out your moment of inertia by finding the correct formula for a solid cylinder (disk), then look at your SUVAT equations to see if you can find the required torque from what you've been given.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is typically measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

2. How is torque related to acceleration?

In order to accelerate an object with rotational motion, a torque must be applied. The larger the torque, the faster the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the amount of torque required to accelerate a flywheel?

The amount of torque required to accelerate a flywheel depends on its mass, moment of inertia, and desired angular acceleration. The larger the mass and moment of inertia, or the greater the desired angular acceleration, the more torque will be needed.

4. Is there a formula for determining the torque required to accelerate a flywheel?

Yes, the formula is T = Iα, where T is the torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This formula can be used to calculate the torque needed for any given flywheel.

5. How can the torque required to accelerate a flywheel be calculated in real-world applications?

In real-world applications, the torque required to accelerate a flywheel can be calculated by measuring the mass and moment of inertia of the flywheel, as well as the desired angular acceleration. These values can then be plugged into the formula T = Iα to determine the required torque.