1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether the following series converes or diverges and find the sum

1. Oct 30, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    infinity
    Ʃ(2n+3n)/(4n+1)
    n=0

2. Relevant equations
    We learned the integral test. The p-series. The nth term test.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured out that the terms are positive and that they approach 0. the first couple of terms are (2/4)+ 5/16+13/64+35/256+...

I think I can use the integral test, but that only tells me whether or not it converges. I think that it does. However, I don't know how to find its sum. If you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about geometric series.

4. Oct 30, 2011 #3
    I know that a geometric series is like a+ar+ar2+ar3+...arn, but I dont know how to re-write this in that form

5. Oct 30, 2011 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Break it up into two problems and factor a 4 out of the denominator.

6. Oct 30, 2011 #5
    do you mean break it up into two integrals? or would it be like

Ʃ2n/4n+1 +Ʃ 3n/4n+1

Can you break it up like that?

7. Oct 30, 2011 #6
    I cant find a common r value. I don't think it is a geometric series. So I am pretty lost still.

8. Oct 30, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes you can break it up like that. It makes two separate problems. What about my other suggestion in red above?

9. Oct 30, 2011 #8
    this is probably a dumb question, but how do I factor something out if it is a sequence. I really don't know how to factor a 4 out of the denominator. like would I multiply the problem by 1/4

10. Oct 30, 2011 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[tex]\frac 1 {4^{n+1}} = \frac 1 4\cdot\frac 1 {4^n}[/tex]

11. Oct 30, 2011 #10
    Ohh ok. Thank you so much. I just figured it out. I now know that the sum is (3/2). I didnt know you could factor it out like that. that helps so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook