1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine whether the subset S of M2x2 (2x2 are the subscripts for M,

1. Sep 29, 2012 #1
    Determine whether the subset S of M2x2 (2x2 are the subscripts for M, idk how to do put it on here) is a subspace.

Let S be the set of all diagonal matrices.

To check if something is a subspace, my teacher gave us 3 conditions.

1.) 0 vector is in S
    2) if U and V are in S, then U+V is in S
    3) If V is in S and c is a scalar, then cV is in S.

I'm not really sure how to check the first condition. A guess no vectors on a diagnol 2x2 matrix can be the 0 vector,thus S is not a subspace in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Subspaces

The zero matrix is definitely diagonal. The matrices in this question are your 'vectors'.

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3

Wait how is a zero matrix diagonal? My prof said "diagonal means square, with nonzero entries only appearing on the diagonal." I missed the "only" part, I think that means the diagonal can still be 0 or nonzero, but no elements off the diagonal can be nonzero.

But if so.
    then the 1st condition is satisfied.

2. Condition 2 implies that if we have a U and V in S, then U+V must also be diagonal. Which is true.
    3. Condition 3 implies if we have a V in S, then cV is also diagnol, which is true.
    Thus S is a subspace.
    Is this correct?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  5. Sep 29, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, 'nonzero entries only appearing on the diagonal' only means the off-diagonal elements have to be zero. It doesn't say the diagonal elements have to be zero.

6. Sep 29, 2012 #5

So this matrix is a subspace. If the way I explained why it is sufficient or do I need to write out arbitrary matrices and demonstrate each 3 conditoins?

7. Sep 29, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't really explain anything. You just said it was true. I assumed you knew what you were talking about. Your teacher might not. Yes, write out the form of a diagonal matrix and show each one is true.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook