Determine whether the subset S of M2x2 (2x2 are the subscripts for M,

• Thread starter pyroknife
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the subset S of M2x2 is a subspace. S is defined as the set of all diagonal matrices. The three conditions given by the teacher to check if something is a subspace are: 1) the zero vector is in S, 2) if U and V are in S, then U+V is in S, and 3) if V is in S and c is a scalar, then cV is in S. The conversation then goes on to explain how each condition is satisfied by diagonal matrices, thus making S a subspace. The final question is whether it is necessary to provide examples for each condition, to which the answer is yes.
pyroknife
Determine whether the subset S of M2x2 (2x2 are the subscripts for M, idk how to do put it on here) is a subspace.

Let S be the set of all diagonal matrices.

To check if something is a subspace, my teacher gave us 3 conditions.

1.) 0 vector is in S
2) if U and V are in S, then U+V is in S
3) If V is in S and c is a scalar, then cV is in S.

I'm not really sure how to check the first condition. A guess no vectors on a diagnol 2x2 matrix can be the 0 vector,thus S is not a subspace in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org

The zero matrix is definitely diagonal. The matrices in this question are your 'vectors'.

Wait how is a zero matrix diagonal? My prof said "diagonal means square, with nonzero entries only appearing on the diagonal." I missed the "only" part, I think that means the diagonal can still be 0 or nonzero, but no elements off the diagonal can be nonzero.But if so.
then the 1st condition is satisfied.

2. Condition 2 implies that if we have a U and V in S, then U+V must also be diagonal. Which is true.
3. Condition 3 implies if we have a V in S, then cV is also diagnol, which is true.
Thus S is a subspace.
Is this correct?

Last edited:

pyroknife said:
Wait how is a zero matrix diagonal? My prof said "diagonal means square, with nonzero entries only appearing on the diagonal."

But if so.
then the 1st condition is satisfied.

2. Condition 2 implies that if we have a U and V in S, then U+V must also be diagonal. Which is true.
3. Condition 3 implies if we have a V in S, then cV is also diagnol, which is true.
Thus S is a subspace.
Is this correct?

Yes, 'nonzero entries only appearing on the diagonal' only means the off-diagonal elements have to be zero. It doesn't say the diagonal elements have to be zero.

So this matrix is a subspace. If the way I explained why it is sufficient or do I need to write out arbitrary matrices and demonstrate each 3 conditoins?

pyroknife said:
So this matrix is a subspace. If the way I explained why it is sufficient or do I need to write out arbitrary matrices and demonstrate each 3 conditoins?

You didn't really explain anything. You just said it was true. I assumed you knew what you were talking about. Your teacher might not. Yes, write out the form of a diagonal matrix and show each one is true.

What is a subset?

A subset is a collection of elements from a larger set. In this case, the subset S of M2x2 refers to a collection of 2x2 matrices that are included in the larger set M2x2.

How do I determine if a matrix is in the subset S of M2x2?

To determine if a matrix is in the subset S of M2x2, you need to check if it meets the criteria for being a 2x2 matrix. This means that it must have 2 rows and 2 columns, and each element within the matrix must be a real number.

What does the notation "M2x2" mean?

The notation "M2x2" refers to the set of 2x2 matrices. This means that all matrices in this set have 2 rows and 2 columns.

What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset?

A subset includes all the elements of a larger set, while a proper subset only includes some of the elements. In the case of S of M2x2, it is a proper subset because it only includes 2x2 matrices, while the larger set M2x2 includes matrices of all sizes.

Is the empty set considered a subset of S of M2x2?

Yes, the empty set is considered a subset of S of M2x2 because it does not contain any elements and therefore meets the criteria of being a subset.