1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra proof subspaces

1. Apr 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be a fixed 2x2 matrix. Prove that the set W = {X : XA = AX} is a subspace of M2,2.

2. Relevant equations
    Theorem: Test for a subspace
    If W is a nonempty subset of a vector space V, then W is a subspace of V if and only if the following closure conditions hold.
    1. If u and v are in W, then u + v is in W.
    2. If u is in W and c is any scalar, then cu is in W.

3. The attempt at a solution
    First off, we know that W is a nonempty subset of M2,2 since if you let X = the 2x2 zero matrix, then XA = AX.

I'm not certain about this, but I think that there are only 3 scenarios where AX=XA and that is if X is the identity, if X is the zero 2x2 matrix or if the matrix X = the matrix A.

Next, we need to show that if u and v are W, then u + v is also in W and that cu is in W.
    I'm not sure how to do show that u + v is in W. For the cw is in W part, I think you can simply multiply the matrices out and show that they are equal, which is straightforward.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For a fixed matrix A there aren't necessarily only those three scenarios. And if you know UA=AU and VA=AV, isn't it not too hard to show (U+V)A=A(U+V)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook