• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Determing the direction of dl when calculating V

• Thread starter kc8ukw
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm wondering how one determines the direction of dl (vector) when calculating V, the electric potential. So, suppose we want to calculate the electric potential caused by a point charge q at a distance a from the point charge, if we know the electric field of a point charge.

Homework Equations

The textbook I have says to calculate the potential by Va - Vb = integral from a to b of E*dl.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I can let b = infinity, to get Va - Vinfinity = integral from a to infinity of k*q/r2 dr, where I have said that dl = dr*rhat, since I am integrating from r = a to r = infinity. Doing the integral, and assuming Vinfinity = 0, I get the correct answer,

V = kq/a.

But suppose instead that I had integrated from infinity to a instead of the other way. So,

Vinfinity - Va = integral from infinity to a of E*dl.

Now, since I am coming from infinity toward a, I make dl = -dr*rhat. That introduces one negative sign. But the order of integration is also flipped, which introduces another. BUT, since I have Vinfinity - Va, that introduces a third negative, so I end up with

V = -kq/a

the opposite of what I got before, and the wrong answer. Where did I go wrong? I'm guessing it must have been when I said that dl = -dr*rhat - but why isn't that correct? What sets the proper direction of dl?

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi kc8ukw! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an infinity: ∞ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

i'm not following your argument :confused:

the potential V is defined by …

V(R) - V(∞) = ∫R E(r) dr …

what exactly are you saying?

Hi Kc8ukw,
For your particular problem, (E in the [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] direction), d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex] is in the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (you know this already). But in spherical coordinates [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] always points radially outward. But radially outward can point, for instance, along the [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction or along the -[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction. Both of these directions, [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and -[itex]\hat{x}[/itex], are called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] when we are in spherical coordinates. This is because in general the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] depends on the angles θ and [itex]\phi[/itex]. So your d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex] vector here is in the direction called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (not -[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]!) regardless of if it points in from infinity or out to infinity.

An example from Griffiths's awesome book: Introduction to Electrodynamics might help:
Imagine two vectors [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]= -[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. Both of these vectors are called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is spherical coordinates and in particular [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]+ [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is 0 NOT 2[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]!

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
welcome to pf!

hi finnsmama! welcome to pf! :smile:

but that wasn't yesterday, it was last year …

i don't think kc8ukw is coming back! :wink:

Hey Tiny tim,
yeah, I knew that...but people search for answers to questions all the time and this one was not answered...and I had just gone over this in class! So answering seemed the right thing to do...