Determing the direction of dl when calculating V

• Thread starter kc8ukw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Direction
In summary, the textbook suggests that one calculates the potential V by Va - Vb = integral from a to b of E*dl. However, when the problem is solved in a different order of integration, one introduces a negative sign which causes the incorrect answer - V=-kq/a.
kc8ukw

Homework Statement

Hi. I'm wondering how one determines the direction of dl (vector) when calculating V, the electric potential. So, suppose we want to calculate the electric potential caused by a point charge q at a distance a from the point charge, if we know the electric field of a point charge.

Homework Equations

The textbook I have says to calculate the potential by Va - Vb = integral from a to b of E*dl.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I can let b = infinity, to get Va - Vinfinity = integral from a to infinity of k*q/r2 dr, where I have said that dl = dr*rhat, since I am integrating from r = a to r = infinity. Doing the integral, and assuming Vinfinity = 0, I get the correct answer,

V = kq/a.

But suppose instead that I had integrated from infinity to a instead of the other way. So,

Vinfinity - Va = integral from infinity to a of E*dl.

Now, since I am coming from infinity toward a, I make dl = -dr*rhat. That introduces one negative sign. But the order of integration is also flipped, which introduces another. BUT, since I have Vinfinity - Va, that introduces a third negative, so I end up with

V = -kq/a

the opposite of what I got before, and the wrong answer. Where did I go wrong? I'm guessing it must have been when I said that dl = -dr*rhat - but why isn't that correct? What sets the proper direction of dl?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi kc8ukw! welcome to pf! :smile:

(have an infinity: ∞ and an integral: ∫ :wink:)

i'm not following your argument :confused:

the potential V is defined by …

V(R) - V(∞) = ∫R E(r) dr …

what exactly are you saying?

Hi Kc8ukw,
For your particular problem, (E in the [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] direction), d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex] is in the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (you know this already). But in spherical coordinates [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] always points radially outward. But radially outward can point, for instance, along the [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction or along the -[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] direction. Both of these directions, [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] and -[itex]\hat{x}[/itex], are called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] when we are in spherical coordinates. This is because in general the direction of [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] depends on the angles θ and [itex]\phi[/itex]. So your d[itex]\vec{l}[/itex] vector here is in the direction called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] (not -[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]!) regardless of if it points in from infinity or out to infinity.

An example from Griffiths's awesome book: Introduction to Electrodynamics might help:
Imagine two vectors [itex]\vec{A}[/itex] = [itex]\hat{y}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]= -[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. Both of these vectors are called [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is spherical coordinates and in particular [itex]\vec{A}[/itex]+ [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] is 0 NOT 2[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]!

welcome to pf!

hi finnsmama! welcome to pf! :smile:

but that wasn't yesterday, it was last year …

i don't think kc8ukw is coming back! :wink:

Hey Tiny tim,
yeah, I knew that...but people search for answers to questions all the time and this one was not answered...and I had just gone over this in class! So answering seemed the right thing to do...

1. What is dl in the context of determining the direction of V?

dl, or differential length, is a small segment of a curve or path. In the context of determining the direction of V, dl represents a small displacement along the path of integration.

2. How is the direction of dl determined?

The direction of dl is determined by the direction of the path of integration. It is typically chosen to be in the direction of increasing parameter values, such as time or distance.

3. What role does the right-hand rule play in determining the direction of dl?

The right-hand rule is used to determine the direction of dl in certain situations, such as when calculating the direction of magnetic field lines. It states that if the fingers of the right hand are curled in the direction of the current, the thumb points in the direction of dl.

4. Can the direction of dl be changed?

Yes, the direction of dl can be changed by changing the orientation of the path of integration. This can be done by redefining the parameters or by reversing the direction of integration.

5. Why is it important to determine the direction of dl when calculating V?

The direction of dl is crucial in calculating V because it determines the sign of the integral. If the direction of dl is opposite to the direction of V, the integral will have a negative sign, resulting in a different value. It is important to be consistent in determining the direction of dl to ensure accurate calculations.