1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinging Acceleration and Distance

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    If a rocket-powered sled is accelerated to a speed of 444 m/s in 1.8s, then what is the distance that the sled travels?

So, my given:
    vf= 444 m/s
    t= 1.8 s

I don 't know what equation to use to find distance. I tried:
    d=vi+1/2*at2 , but that didn't work. I just really don't know what equation to use. The answer should be 400m. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Knowing only the time and velocities, you must use a formula that has only three quantities - and use it to find the 3rd one. Ideally, you would use a constant accelerated motion formula with d,t,Vi, and Vf. If you can't find that one, use one to find the acceleration and then use d=vi+1/2*at2 to find the distance.

There must be a list of constant accelerated motion formulas in your text book.
    The classic version is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_of_motion#Equations_of_uniformly_accelerated_linear_motion

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    have yo tried A = (Vf - Vi) / T?
    once you have the acceleration value, the distance formula should work just fine

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    Most of the time a sled would be accelerated from rest. If it isn't, it tells you the initial velocity.

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    Need to find acceleration first and then plug its value into the correct equation that you stated.

a = (v-u)/t = (444-0)/1.8 = 247m/s^2

d = vi+1/2*at2

= 0 + 1/2*247*1.8^2

= 400m

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook