Determining angles and the 6 trig functions? D:

In summary, the conversation is about finding the radius of the unit circle and using trigonometric equations to solve problems. The person is struggling with understanding the concepts and equations.
toyotadude

Homework Statement

SANY0133.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt, don't even know where to start. I get a point... I can draw a triangle out of it. I can figure out the X and the Y.

I know the 6 equations... Sin, Cos, Tan, and the opposites Cosecant, Secant, and Cotangent...

I know sin = y/r, cos = x/r, tan = y/x, and flipped for the opposites of them.

And now I'm lost... :'(

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like these points are on the unit circle. So, what is the radius of the unit circle?

toyotadude said:

Homework Statement

SANY0133.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

No attempt, don't even know where to start. I get a point... I can draw a triangle out of it. I can figure out the X and the Y.

I know the 6 equations... Sin, Cos, Tan, and the opposites Cosecant, Secant, and Cotangent...

I know sin = y/r, cos = x/r, tan = y/x, and flipped for the opposites of them.

And now I'm lost... :'(
Yes, and you are given x and y for each. Since this is on the unit circle, r= 1.

What are the 6 trigonometric functions?

The 6 trigonometric functions are sine (sin), cosine (cos), tangent (tan), cotangent (cot), secant (sec), and cosecant (csc). These functions represent the ratio of two sides of a right triangle and are commonly used to solve for missing angles and sides in trigonometric problems.

How do you determine angles using trigonometric functions?

To determine an angle using trigonometric functions, you can use the inverse trigonometric functions (arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent) on a calculator. These functions will give you the measure of an angle in degrees or radians. Alternatively, you can use the trigonometric identities and equations to solve for an angle in a triangle or on a unit circle.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. It is used to represent the values of trigonometric functions for any angle, including ones that are not on the traditional x-y coordinate plane. The x-coordinate represents the cosine value and the y-coordinate represents the sine value of an angle on the unit circle. The unit circle is also useful for visualizing and understanding the relationships between trigonometric functions.

How are trigonometric functions used in real-life applications?

Trigonometric functions are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in real-life scenarios. For example, architects use trigonometric functions to design buildings, astronomers use them to calculate the distances between stars, and pilots use them to navigate planes.

What is the difference between radians and degrees?

Radians and degrees are two different units of measuring angles. Degrees are the more commonly used unit, where a full circle is divided into 360 degrees. On the other hand, radians are a unit of the measure of angles in a circle where the circumference is divided into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts. Radians are often used in advanced trigonometric calculations and in calculus.