1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining convergence of (-1)^n/ln(n!) as n goes to infinity

1. Nov 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine whether (-1)^n/ln(n!) is divergent, conditionally convergent, or absolutely convergent.

2. Relevant equations
    None, really? :S

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so I know the series converges by the Alternating Series test - terms are positive, decreasing, going to zero. I also know that it absolutely converges...because Wolfram Alpha told me so. =P I have no idea how to prove it though. The ratio test results in 1 so that's inconclusive, so I'm left with comparison or limit comparison test..but I don't know what to compare it to.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would compare it to 1/ln(n^n). That's less than 1/ln(n!), right? And 1/ln(n^n) diverges by an integral test. Do you have that?

4. Nov 26, 2011 #3
    WolframAlpha tells you the answer, you have the solutions. I don't see what's wrong here

5. Nov 26, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you posting here if you have nothing to contribute??

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  6. Nov 26, 2011 #5
    Hi Dick and FlyingPig,

Thanks for your responses.

Dick - you are right, the integral does not converge.

FlyingPig, the problem is that WolframAlpha gave me an integer answer when I entered "the summation of 1/ln(n!) from 2 to infinity", so that was misleading.

Anyway thanks so much for helping me solve the problem.

7. Nov 26, 2011 #6
    This is what WolframAlpha gave me:

NIntegrate::ncvb: "NIntegrate failed to converge to prescribed accuracy after 9 recursive bisections in n near {n} = {2.176*10^6}. NIntegrate obtained 2.1848934935880644` and 0.0050671018999950595` for the integral and error estimates."

and then the integer 5.49193 as output. I guess that was an estimate for a sum that never actually converges.

8. Nov 26, 2011 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are quite right. Wolfram Alpha can be misleading. So can flyingpig. Can you show the series diverges without trusting either one? What's the integral of 1/(n*ln(n))?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook