1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining General Values of Convergence for a seqence

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    Determine the values of "r" for which rn converges.

Is there a specific procedure I should try to apply to figure this out? The only things I could intuitively come up with that will converge in this scenario are when -1 ≤ r ≤ 1......is there anything else to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Really? r = -1?? For |r|<1 I guess it depends on what you have to work with. You might consider what happens to ##y=\ln(|r|^n)##.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3

I don't fully see what your getting at. From what you wrote that would become n ln(r), but in that case it would not converge.

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's "you're", not "your".

What about ##r=-1##? Have you thought about that?

Yes, ##y=\ln(|r|^n) = n \ln(|r|)## doesn't converge. But what does it do? Since ##y## is the logarithm of your problem, what does that tell you about your problem?

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5

In the case of r = -1, the sequence oscillates so it is divergent.

In the second part ##y=\ln(|r|^n) = n \ln(|r|)## goes to infinity whenever r > 1, when 0 < r < 1 then it converges.

So the main behavior to try and examine occurs between -1 < r < 1 then

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's what I'm getting at. What happens to ##y## when ##|r|<1##?

8. Apr 27, 2012 #7
    In that instance it appears as if it's going to converge to 0, but when r is in the form ##ln(r)## it's tending toward negative infiniti

9. Apr 27, 2012 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can't just assert ##|r|^n\to 0##; that's what you are trying to prove if ##|r|<1##. But once you know ##\ln|r|^n\to -\infty##, doesn't that show it?

10. Apr 28, 2012 #9

After staring and thinking about it for a second is this the proper rationale behind the convergence to 0?:

SO I know: ##\ln|r|^n\to -\infty## .

if I raise both sides to "e": e ##ln|r|^n## --> e##-\infty##. since that would simplify to |r|n --> 1/ e##infty## and that tends to 0.

11. Apr 28, 2012 #10

After staring and thinking about it for a second is this the proper rationale behind the convergence to 0?:

SO I know: ##\ln|r|^n\to -\infty## .

if I raise both sides to "e": e ##ln|r|^n## --> e##-\infty##. since that would simplify to |r|n --> 1/ e##infty## and that tends to 0.

Is that how it ends up converging to 0?

12. Apr 28, 2012 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the idea, although you can probably find a more proper way to express it.

13. Apr 29, 2012 #12
    Thanks. and thanks for having the patience to help me through it

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook