Determining hydrostatic force on a sphere

In summary: I ended up making a mistake. Your explanation was very helpful and I can now see where I went wrong. Thank you for your help.In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the horizontal and vertical forces exerted by water on the surface of a submerged solid sphere with radius ##R## and at a depth ##h_1##. The solution is achieved by integrating the differential pressure of the sphere using the equations ##F = pA## and ##p = (p_0 + \gamma h)##, with the assumption that ##p_0 = 0##. The vertical force is found to be ##\frac 4 3 \pi R^3 \gamma##, which is the buoyancy of a sphere.
thebrennus

Homework Statement

A solid sphere with radius ##R## is submerged on water at a depth ##h_1##. Water's specific weight is ##\gamma##.
Determine both horizontal and vertical forces exerted by the water on the surface of the sphere, in terms of ##R## and ##\gamma##.

Homework Equations

My lecturer wants the solution to be achieved by integrating the differential pressure of the sphere, so I believe the only relevant equations are ##F = p A## and ##p = (p_0 + \gamma h)##. I am also assuming ##p_0 = 0##

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by decomposing the resultant force on the surface of the sphere into its vertical and horizontal components, allowing me to write: ##F_V = F \sin\theta## and ##F_H = F \cos\theta##

3.1. The vertical force
So I divide the sphere into differential rings with area ##dA = 2\pi R^2 \cos\theta dθ##
If ##F_V = F \sin\theta##, then ##dF_V = dF \sin\theta##, but ##dF = p dA## and ##p = (p_0 + \gamma h)##, which yields:
$$dF_V = (p_0 + \gamma h) (2\pi R^2 \cos\theta dθ) \sin\theta$$
The point where I'm evaluating ##h## is ##h = h_1 + R - R\sin\theta##, so we have:
$$dF_V = \gamma (h_1 + R - R\sin\theta) (2\pi R^2 \cos\theta dθ) \sin\theta$$
Finally, the vertical force is given by:
$$F_V = \gamma 2\pi R^2 \left[h_1 \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \sin\theta \cos\theta\, d\theta + R \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \sin\theta \cos\theta\, d\theta - R \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \sin^2\theta \cos\theta\, d\theta\right]$$
Solving the integral we have:
$$F_V = \gamma 2\pi R^2 * (2 R /3) \rightarrow F_V = \frac 4 3 \pi R^3 \gamma$$
Which I believe is the correct answer since it is the buoyancy of a sphere.

3.2 The horizontal force
As far as I know, the method for solving this should be the same as before. The only difference I can see is that the horizontal force is given by ##F_H = F \cos\theta##, so the equation is:
$$F_H = \gamma 2\pi R^2 \left[h_1 \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \cos^2\theta\, d\theta + R \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \cos^2\theta\, d\theta - R \int_{\frac \pi 2}^{\frac {3\pi} 2} \sin\theta \cos^2\theta\, d\theta\right]$$
Solving the above integral yields:
$$F_V = \gamma 2\pi R^2 * (h_1\frac \pi 2 + R\frac \pi 2) \rightarrow F_V = \pi^2 R^2 \gamma[h_1 + R]$$
However I am pretty sure that this is wrong. Since the whole sphere is submerged there should be forces cancelling themselves out so that the horizontal force should be just zero. Besides, this solution is in terms of ##h_1##, and my lecturer explicitly said the answer shouldn't be in therms of any variables other than ##R## and ##h_1##

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you redo your coordinate system and use a standard spherical with ## \theta ## being the polar angle measured from the vertical (upward z) direction and ## dA=2 \pi R^2sin(\theta) \, d \theta ## because of the ## \phi ## symmetry. The angle ## \theta ## will then vary from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ##. The vertical force is the z-component. For the horizontal force, you will need to consider the ## x ## and ## y ## components and integrate over ## \phi ##. The horizontal component will have a ## sin(\theta) ## just as the vertical has a ## cos(\theta) ##, but it is the ## \phi ## integrals that will give you the zero answer for the horizontal (x and y) components. For the vertical (z component), the integral over ## d \phi ## is just ## 2 \pi ##. For the x and y components, the ## sin(\phi) ## or ## cos(\phi) ## terms integrate to ## 0 ## when integrated from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ##.

Last edited:
Likes thebrennus
Charles Link said:
I suggest you redo your coordinate system and use a standard spherical with ## \theta ## being the polar angle measured from the vertical (upward z) direction and ## dA=2 \pi R^2sin(\theta) \, d \theta ## because of the ## \phi ## symmetry. The angle ## \theta ## will then vary from ## 0 ## to ## \pi ##. The vertical force is the z-component. For the horizontal force, you will need to consider the ## x ## and ## y ## components and integrate over ## \phi ##. The horizontal component will have a ## sin(\theta) ## just as the vertical has a ## cos(\theta) ##, but it is the ## \phi ## integrals that will give you the zero answer for the horizontal (x and y) components. For the vertical (z component), the integral over ## d \phi ## is just ## 2 \pi ##. For the x and y components, the ## sin(\phi) ## or ## cos(\phi) ## terms integrate to ## 0 ## when integrated from ## 0 ## to ## 2 \pi ##.
Thank you so much for your answer, it does make sense. I didn't really think about the coordinate system before

Likes Charles Link

1. What is hydrostatic force on a sphere?

Hydrostatic force on a sphere is the result of the pressure exerted by a liquid on a spherical object that is submerged in the liquid. It is a type of buoyant force that acts in an upward direction, perpendicular to the surface of the sphere.

2. How is hydrostatic force on a sphere calculated?

The hydrostatic force on a sphere can be calculated using the equation F = ρghπr^2, where ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the depth of the sphere in the liquid, and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the hydrostatic force on a sphere?

The hydrostatic force on a sphere is affected by the density of the liquid, the depth of the sphere in the liquid, and the radius of the sphere. It is also influenced by the acceleration due to gravity and the atmospheric pressure on the surface of the liquid.

4. How does the shape of a sphere affect the hydrostatic force?

The shape of a sphere does not significantly affect the hydrostatic force, as long as the sphere is perfectly symmetrical. This is because the pressure exerted on a spherical object is distributed evenly on all sides, resulting in a balanced force.

5. What is the significance of determining hydrostatic force on a sphere?

Determining the hydrostatic force on a sphere is important in various fields such as fluid mechanics, naval architecture, and marine engineering. It is also essential in understanding the behavior of objects submerged in liquids and designing structures that can withstand the forces exerted by liquids.