Determining if a vector field is conservative

In summary: That's satisfied so we can say that this field is conservative.In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's habit of solving problems in a different way than what is taught in class and how it has led to problems. They then mention the current topic of line integrals and the use of the curl method to determine if a field is conservative. However, the speaker has been able to solve all problems without using the curl method. The conversation then delves into a discussion of integrating and finding the gradient of a function to determine if a field is conservative. The summary concludes with a simpler method of using the "cross condition" to determine the conservativeness of a field.
1MileCrash
I have a bad habit of deciding how I would solve the concepts presented to us in lecture before the instructor covers the method. I try my methods immediately and use the textbook method if I hit a road block.

This leads to problems for me.

Right now we are covering line integrals over conservative vector fields. We are determining whether or not a field is conservative with the curl method.

However, I've solved every problem without it.

I take the vector field, integrate the i component wrt x, the j component wrt y, and decide that way. If they differ by an added constant or a function of the other variable, I add the two integrated functions together.

This has always led me to a function that if I find the gradient of it, I get the vector field.

If it is not conservative, it is apparent early on after viewing the two integrated functions.

However, if the curl method wasn't necessary it would not be presented. Where will my method break down?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your mistake is thinking that you can integrate each component with respect to a single variable and have only an added constant.
If you have
[tex]\nabla g= \frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial g}{\partial z}\vec{k}= F_x\vec{i}+ F_y\vec{j}+ F_z\vec{k}[/tex]

Yes, because the partial derivative with respect to x treats y and z as constants, you can integrate [itex]F_x[/itex] with respect to x only but the "constant of integration" may be a function of y and z because you are treating them as constants.

For example, suppose we have [itex]\nabla g= \vec{F}= 2xy\vec{i}+ x^2\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]. Then we can say
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}= 2xy[/tex]
so that [tex]g= x^2y+ \phi(y,z)[/tex]
where [itex]\phi(y,z)[/itex] is an unknown function of y and z only- which is treated as constants when differentiating with respect to x.

And we also have
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}= x^2[/tex]
so that [tex]g= x^2y+ \psi(x,z)[/tex]
Comparing those two, its reasonable to think that [itex]g= x^2y+ C[/itex], a constant. But we still have z to handle! From
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial z}= 1[/tex]
we get [itex]g= z+ \chi(x,u)[/itex] where now it is important that we have added a function of z, not a constant! We might be able to see that [itex]\chi(x,y)= x^2+ C[/itex] and so [itex]g(x, y, z)= x^2y+ z+ C[/itex].

A simpler way to do this is, starting with the first equation, integrate with respect to x to get [itex]g(x,y,z)= x^2y+ \phi(y,z)[/itex]. Now, differentiate that, with respect to y, to get
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}= x^2+ \frac{\partial\phi(y,z)}{\partial y}= x^2[/tex]
from which we get
[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y}= 0[/tex]
which means that [itex]\phi[/itex] must not be a function of y. Not that is is a constant, because it still might be a function of z.

Now we have [itex]g= x^2y+ \phi(x)[/itex] and, differentiating with respect to z,
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial z}= \frac{d\phi}{dz}= 1[/tex]
and from that, [itex]\phi(z)= z+ C[/itex] where C really is a constant because [itex]\phi[/itex] is a function of z only.

That gives [itex]g(x, y, z)= x^2y+ z+ C[/itex].

HOI, I'm on mobile so can't really type out a good reply, but when I said "constant or a function of other variable" I meant to consider any function of variables considered constants during integration.

Ok, back, and armed with itex..

I would just do:

[itex]\int 2xy dx = x^{2}y + n(y,z)[/itex]
[itex]\int x^{2} dy = x^{2}y + k(x,z)[/itex]
[itex]\int dz = z + q(x,y)[/itex]

Which I view as a simple system of equations that can be solved by looking at it, with:
n(y,z) = k(x,z) = z
or q(x,y) = x^{2}y.

Thus f = x^{2}y + z + C

And if the 'system' has no solution then the field is nonconservative.

If all you want to do is determine whether or not it is conservative, rather than actually finding the potential, you can use the "cross condition":
If there exist g such that [itex]\partial g/\partial x= F_x[/itex], [itex]\partial g/\partial y= F_y[/itex], and [itex]\partial g/\partial z= F_z[/itex].

Then [itex]\partial^2g/\partial x\partial y= \partial^2 g/\partial y\partial x[/itex]
becomes [itex]\partial F_x/\partial y= \partial F_y/\partial x[/itex]
while the other partial derivatives give
[itex]\partial F_x/\partial z= \partial F_z/\partial x[/itex]
[itex]\partial F_z/\partial y= \partial F_y/\partial z[/itex]

For this particular example, [itex]\vec{F}= 2xy\vec{i}+ x^2\vec{j}+ \vec{k}[/itex]
we have
[tex]\frac{\partial F_x}{\partial x}= 2y= \frac{\partial F_y}{\partial x}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial F_y}{\partial z}= 0= \frac{\partial F_z}{\partial y}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial F_z}{\partial x}= 0= \frac{\partial F_x}{\partial z}[/tex]

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector (such as velocity or force) to every point in a specified region of space.

2. How can I determine if a vector field is conservative?

A vector field is conservative if the line integral around a closed loop is zero. This means that the work done by the vector field on a particle moving around the loop is independent of the path taken.

3. What are the applications of conservative vector fields?

Conservative vector fields are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model physical phenomena such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, and gravitational forces.

4. What are some methods for determining if a vector field is conservative?

One method is to calculate the line integral around a closed loop and see if it is equal to zero. Another method is to check if the vector field satisfies the gradient condition, which states that the vector field must be equal to the gradient of a potential function.

5. Can a vector field be both conservative and non-conservative?

No, a vector field cannot be both conservative and non-conservative. If the line integral around a closed loop is zero, the vector field is conservative. If it is not zero, the vector field is non-conservative. It cannot be both simultaneously.