Determining initial velocity and instant velocity

In summary, the acceleration and position equations for a particle in straight-line motion were used to find the initial velocity v0x required for the particle to have the same x-coordinate at time t = 4.06 as it did at t = 0. By setting the position equations equal to each other and solving for v0x, the value of v0x was determined to be equal to the difference between the initial and final x-coordinates divided by the time difference.
Norfonz

Homework Statement

The acceleration of a particle is given by ax(t) = 2.90t - 2.06

Q. Find the initial velocity v0x such that the particle will have the same x-coordinate at time t = 4.06 as it had at t = 0.

Homework Equations

vx = v0x + [tex]\int[/tex]axdt evaluated from 0 to t.
x = x0 + [tex]\int[/tex]vxdt evaluated from 0 to t.

This is defined for straight-line motion with varying acceleration, which appears to fit my scenario.

The Attempt at a Solution

vx = v0x + [tex]\int[/tex](2.90t - 2.06)dt evaluated from 0 to t.
vx = v0x + 1.45t2 - 1.03t

x = x0 + [tex]\int[/tex](v0x + 1.45t2 - 1.03t)dt evaluated from 0 to t.
x = x0 + [tex]\int[/tex](1.45t2 - 1.03t)dt + v0x[tex]\int[/tex]dt

x = x0 + v0xt + (1.45t3/3) - (1.03t2/2)

Unfortunately this is as far as I got. I don't understand how to incorporate the values I was given for t. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Norfonz said:
x = x0 + v0xt + (1.45t3/3) - (1.03t2/2)

Unfortunately this is as far as I got. I don't understand how to incorporate the values I was given for t. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Well from where, when t=4.06, what is x equal to ? (in terms of v0x and x0)

And when t=0, what is x equal to ? (in terms of v0x and x0)

Then just put those equal to each other and solve for v0x

To find the initial velocity v0x, we need to set the x-coordinate at t = 0 equal to the x-coordinate at t = 4.06. This means that x0 + v0x(0) + (1.45(0)3/3) - (1.03(0)2/2) = x0 + v0x(4.06) + (1.45(4.06)3/3) - (1.03(4.06)2/2). This simplifies to v0x = 2.90(4.06) - 2.06(4.06) = 8.65 m/s. Therefore, the initial velocity is 8.65 m/s.

1. What is the difference between initial velocity and instant velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the starting velocity of an object, while instant velocity refers to the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time.

2. How do you determine the initial velocity of an object?

The initial velocity of an object can be determined by dividing the change in position by the change in time. This is also known as calculating the average velocity.

3. What factors can affect the initial velocity of an object?

The initial velocity of an object can be affected by factors such as the force applied, the mass of the object, and the direction of the force.

4. How does the initial velocity affect an object's motion?

The initial velocity of an object determines how fast it will be moving at the start of its motion. It also affects the object's acceleration and eventual velocity.

5. Can the initial velocity and instant velocity be the same?

No, the initial velocity and instant velocity are typically different values. The initial velocity is the velocity at the start of an object's motion, while the instant velocity can change as the object's motion progresses.