Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Lat, Long using trigonometry

1. Mar 15, 2012 #1
    I am not sure if this is entirely possible, as my spherical trig skills are lacking.

Would it be possible to determine the Lat and Long coordinates for a position on the Earth knowing the following.

1. True North Pole is at 90°N
    2. Geomagnetic North Pole is at 82.7°N, 114.4°W
    3. Knowing the direction of True North, I can determine the angle separating the two at my position.

The vertices of the spherical triangle would be.
    1. Point A would be the True North Pole.
    2. Point B would be the Geomagnetic North Pole.
    3. Point C would be my location.

The sides of the spherical triangle would be.
    1. Line AB, or γ
    2. Line BC, or α
    3. Line AC, or β

Side γ has a known length, the distance from the True Pole to GM Pole, which is 820.76km. With Earth's radius at 6371km, this works out to be 0.13 radians, or 7.38°.

[itex]sin C/sin γ = -1.07703 = sin A/sin α = sin B/sin β[/itex] Correct?

Seems to me the other lengths should be able to be determined, and then perhaps the coordinates of Point C. Is that possible?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Mar 16, 2012 #3
    Maybe I have the law of sines upside down?

C is the angle between vertices, γ is the length of the opposite side in degrees, so then

sin γ/sin C = -0.92848

I know the lat, long of two vertices, A and B, of the triangle, and the length of one side γ, and the angle of its opposite vertice C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook