1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Vectors to Find Displacement and Angle

1. Feb 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person walks in the following pattern: 4.1 km north, then 2.0 km west, and finally 2.5 km south.

2. Relevant equations
    (a) How far (in km) and (b) at what angle (measured counterclockwise from east) would a bird fly in a straight line from the same starting point to the same final point?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that I need to create the triangles for 4.1, 2.0, and 2.5, and use basic trigonometry (sine and cosine) to find the values of each of their x and y components, but I am not sure which reference angles to use 30 degrees, 60 degrees, 45 degrees? How am I supposed to tell? I know where to go from there, you add up all of the x components, and then all of the y components, and then create your final triangle and determine the displacement value using the Pythagorean Theorem. Then you determine the angle by using the inverse of tangent.
    I just need help with determining the angles for those three triangles.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi sb13,

Make a drawing. Everything will be simple.

ehild

4. Feb 3, 2012 #3
    Thank you. I figured it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook