Determining magnitude and direction of vectors

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
savva
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Determine the magnitude and direction θ of F1 so that the resultant force is directed vertically upward and has a magnitude of 800N.

Homework Equations


F1=FR-F2-F3


The Attempt at a Solution


I have attached the question with diagram and my attempt at solving the question. I know that by using the equation above, F1=FR-F2-F3, however I am slightly confused as to obtaining the values for these vectors and how to approach doing that.
 

Attachments

  • Chp 2 - Q2.21 Problem.jpg
    Chp 2 - Q2.21 Problem.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 897
  • Chp 2 - Q2.21 Problem WORKING.jpg
    Chp 2 - Q2.21 Problem WORKING.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 832
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve for F1x using the horizontal components, solve for F1y using vertical components, then take F1x and F1y to solve for F1 and θ
 
Thanks for your help Joffran, I managed to solve the problem with your help, I will add the working I used to solve it tomorrow
 
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fx=0 ----> 400cos30+F1x-(4/5)(600)=0 ----> F1x=133.6N
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]Fy=800 ----> 400sin30+F1y+(3/5)(600)=800 ----> F1y=240N

F1= (F1x^2+F2y^2)^.5 = (133.6^2+240^2)^.5=274.7N

tanθ=F1x/F1y=133.6/240

θ=tan^-1(133.6/240)=29.1